NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Interest In Ham Radio?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

Any Interest In Ham Radio? Empty
PostSubject: Any Interest In Ham Radio?   Any Interest In Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 pm

It would be nice to be able to talk to some of you guys on the radio. I just put a mobile rig in my FJ and usually listen to it to and from school/work and there are always guys on there BS'ing but I usually don't have anything to say to them. For a reference, I can reach 30 miles or so pretty reliably just about any time with my mobile rig, longer when conditions are good, so it's a ton better than CB. If any of you guys are interested in amateur radio but don't know where to start let me know and I can help you out. You can get started pretty cheap too and I can help with that as well. Taking the licensing test is only $15...let me know if you want info.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Any Interest In Ham Radio?   Any Interest In Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 8:52 pm

its something i have kicked around for many years, however i have never done anything bout it...i might like to chat with you sometime...

besides when the poop hits the proverbial fan it would be great to be able to get info...(read as ...Zombies dont care about talking....)
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Any Interest In Ham Radio?   Any Interest In Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Being able to access information and communicate when there are no other means available is one large reason why I decided to get into it.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Any Interest In Ham Radio?   Any Interest In Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 10:08 pm

what would the cost be to just get started as far as a mobile unit and set up??
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Any Interest In Ham Radio?   Any Interest In Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 10:46 pm

If you go brand new, you can get a Kenwood two meter rig which you can use with a tech class license (and two meters is the band most people use), antenna, and coax for $200 or less. You can get a brand new handheld for $50, but your range would be limited. If you're in Raleigh though you could probably get away with just a handheld.
Back to top Go down
Merfal
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Merfal

PostSubject: Re: Any Interest In Ham Radio?   Any Interest In Ham Radio? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 11:52 pm

I'm an idiot. I just saw that you're in High Point. You would definitely want to go with a mobile rig, but like I said you can easily come in under $200 for all new stuff. Possibly cheaper with used. I have a vhf/uhf swr meter you could use so you don't have to spend the $80 on one of those.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Interest In Ham Radio?   Any Interest In Ham Radio? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Interest In Ham Radio?
Page 1 of 1