NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Well..... My new tires stink!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Well..... My new tires stink! Empty
PostSubject: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 6:25 pm

So most of you know that I generally keep my tires for years. But I decided I needed to swap my Km2's. mainly because of the damage I was inflicting on my wide rims with the skinny tire.

So here's the review on the new Falken Rocky Mountains after getting them to Uwharrie today.

First, the highway drive there. I didn't realize how pleasant a silent tire was! Extremely smooth and quiet, like driving a car. I know it's a truck, but I'm getting old.

On the trails, they did as good or better than any of my previous tire tests. My front locker wasn't working, but it still walked right up Daniel and Dickey Bell, so I was impressed.

Oh, the only negative - these tires smell like cow manure for some reason! But I can live with that cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 7:25 pm

Wow good deal, happy to see you happy with something for once

Any idea as to why the front locker was inop?
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 8:03 pm

The compressor wouldn't turn on.

Of course as soon as I got home and hit the switch it started working again. I think it was just telling me to be a man and run without it for a day......
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 9:39 pm

MadToy wrote:
I think it was just telling me to be a man and run without it for a day......

It was the tires making it not work so they could show you they were keepers...word has been out for some time at the tire shelter that going home with you doesnt mean you are going to your forever home!Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 10:12 pm

I can handle noise, but I couldn't handle a poopy smell coming from my tires. I get too much of that from the back seat.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 12:49 am

Brian wrote:
I can handle noise, but I couldn't handle a poopy smell coming from my tires. I get too much of that from the back seat.

Wait, I thought you normally drove? I guess your wife must be making you ride in the back while she takes the wheel
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Wait a second, so out with the KM2's and in with the Rocky Mount's? WTF dude? BTW my tires KM2's smell like SaoPaulo, LOL. But they have been GREAT, I just hope they last me 30,000- plus. What width are your wheels? Mine are a 8.5 wide with negative -6 offset.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Darklight wrote:
Wait a second, so out with the KM2's and in with the Rocky Mount's? WTF dude? BTW my tires KM2's smell like SaoPaulo, LOL. But they have been GREAT, I just hope they last me 30,000- plus. What width are your wheels? Mine are a 8.5 wide with negative -6 offset.

Yep. The KM2's were great tires most of the time. My wheels are 8.5", but I had the skinny 255 KM'2s. So any time I was slightly off camber, and passing a rock, the rim was taking a beating. I thought about going to the KM2 in a 285, but the appeal of a silent tire that is supposedly very good off road lured me in. The KM2's were a bit too loud when I had the load of the camper on the back and on the highway for a few hours. Probably not loud for most, but I've found I'm becoming very anal as the birthdays pass.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Well nothing like a new pair of shoes. I hear you on hearing the KM2's and it will only get louder as the thread wears down! I actually like the sound though, between them and my muffler it sounds pretty good. I wouldn't of tried putting a 255 on a 8.5" width wheel and I think that is what the problemo was. Any who hope you like the new ones.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitimeThu Nov 29, 2012 5:27 pm

I'd bet the Runner is a bit more "plush" than the Tacoma, and probably deadens the noise a bit more too.

I'm happy now though (I think). The Rocky Mountains are very quiet and smooth. They performed well on my one trip to URE with them. The real test will be when it's a bit wet out. When it's bone dry at URE, everything is pretty easy. Actually hoping for some rain the days prior to our ride there on the 8th.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well..... My new tires stink!   Well..... My new tires stink! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Well..... My new tires stink!
Page 1 of 1