NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Empty
PostSubject: Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers   Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 2:04 pm

I picked up this Swiss trailer about two years ago from a fellow club member. It came with a full soft top and bows, kinda like a chuck wagon. My plans have been for the past two years to do a resto/mod and use it as an expedition trailer for trips and also to use to haul all the Southeast Overland merchandise to events where I setup a booth.

I've also been wheeling for the past couple of years with a RTT, full rack, lights, awning, and sometimes two cans of fuel on the roof of my FJ Cruiser. While its actually fun to me to wheel up a fairly difficult trail with all that stuff up top, I have found my way into quite a few "tippy incidents" where having upwards of 300 lbs on the roof didn't help my situation out very much. The biggest driver is when I'm at events we are sponsoring I end up having to pitch and take down the RTT everyday to go wheeling if we are operating from a base camp. I very fast at setting up and taking down the RTT, but when peeps are ready to go wheeling they want to go wheeling. With the trailer I'll be able to set up the RTT that will be living on the trailer and go wheeling whenever I like.

So - here are the plans for Stage 1 of the build. Marshall with Trollhole's Cruisers will be doing basically all the work. We've been too busy at Southeast Overland to touch the trailer.

1. Disassemble trailer and blast the whole thing.
  2. Remove the top and its fastening hardware. This will be saved for later use if needed.
  3. Remove leveling stands. Their mounting points will be left on the trailer for the time being.
  4. Add a tongue stand like those on a 416.
  5. Replace rusty hinges on tailgate.
  6. I'll splice some tailgate catches out of winch line.
  7. Replace hardware.
  8. Paint OD green.
  9. Bed line inside the tub.
  10. Rewire lights.
  11. Relocate the safety cables.
  12. Fab a locking lid on hinges that will sit about 6-8" tall above the bed. Place RTT on lid.
  13. Add fastening points underneath the lid for an axe, hand saw, shovel, etc.
  14. We will have the trailer back before the spring wheeling season and will test it extensively before we head on to Stage 2 of the build.

Stage 2

1. Add a tongue box for additional storage.
  2. Consider replacing current slipper springs with a different suspension setup.
  3. Add armor to sides of trailer in front of and behind wheels / fenders. Extra storage will be placed on top of armor.
  4. What else???

I'm really bad about taking pics before I start tearing into a project and this time is no exception. I did get some pics from Trollhole's Cruisers of the tear down process. Enjoy!

Pic of the trailer from the previous owner.
Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Index

Side shot with the fenders pulled off. There was a lot of surface rust but no rot, except the rear hinges that were pretty bad.

The bed floor was a piece of sheet metal over wood. Both were in good shape.

Shot of the bed floor pulled out.

Shot of the front. Stage one will add a ground support stand. Stage 2 will add a tongue box here.

Shot of the rear and the tailgate.

Pics of wheeling with the RTT on top of the Southeast Overland FJ Cruiser.Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Index

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers   Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 8:57 pm

man that is gonna be fun...im gonna be working on building a trailer this coming year...cant wait to see what you do with this little jewel...keep us informed and up to date!!
Back to top Go down
boaterspence
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
boaterspence

PostSubject: Re: Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers   Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 11:46 pm

Very cool! Looks like a fun project. Definitely something I would like to do when I'm out of school
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers   Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Icon_minitimeWed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Thanks guys. We are pretty stoked. Once we get this done we can move on to our next project!
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers   Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Some progress has been made.

Sandblasting

Sandblasting completed of whole trailer

Close up of blasted tailgate

Happy to report that there was no rot or rust through. There was some pitting but everything is now clean as a whistle and now ready for some fabrication.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers   Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Icon_minitimeSat Dec 08, 2012 6:49 pm

Looks fabulous
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers   Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Southeast Overland trailer build by Trollhole's Cruisers
Page 1 of 1