NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Wounded Warrior Project

Go down 
+6
ULTIMATEcruiser
bigdogdewey2
dsbike
iwashmycar
Crazy Hube
Xx_Black-out
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

Wounded Warrior Project Empty
PostSubject: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:05 am

I'm not trying to start anything but found this extremely interesting and it will influence my decision to donate to their organization in the future....

Quote :
Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange
by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 11:56am.

After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.
We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has had a booth at trade shows and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.
-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:
====================
Hello, Leslie:
Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.

I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.

Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"

I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?

Thank you.
Tom Gresham

============

Good afternoon --

While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx

WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.

Thank you for your inquiry.

LESLIE A. COLEMAN
public relations director

O: 904.405.1433
M: 904.654.8138
F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================
Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.
I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.

Best regards,
Tom Gresham

=====================

Good morning --
This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.

Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.

Thank you.
LESLIE A. COLEMAN
public relations director

=============================

Hello, Leslie:

Thank you for that explanation.

I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.

This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.

Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.

It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.

At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.

I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.

Sincerely,
Tom Gresham

Original sources:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-chit-chat/1103014-wounded-warriors-foundation.html
https://www.facebook.com/notes/gun-talk/wounded-warrior-project-email-exchange/10151354082553313
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:18 am

Yes, they won't promote guns or alcohol. They have also received pretty bad ratings. Maybe we should consider donating elsewhere

I dont mind the antigun deal, but they have gotten so big that they don't even donate that much anymore to the actual cause.
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:28 am

I would be curious what their actual donation percentage is. On Pirate one person said only 11% or something but I dont know if that is accurate...
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:34 am

I bet it is that low. Just like every other big charity.
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Quote :
A 'D' RATING

Of the $74.1 million in revenue Wounded Warrior Project generated last year (most of it from donations), $13.8 million was spent on fundraising, according to IRS documents.

Other expenses are listed on its audited financial statements:

$11.5 million in salaries

$8.9 million in consulting and outside services

$5.5 million for meetings and events

$3.1 million for travel

Pollock is skeptical of such spending, considering Wounded Warrior Project's policy on basic aid.

The charity's financial practices earned it a "D" grade from CharityWatch, an independent organization that rates and evaluates nonprofits.

According to CharityWatch's calculations, only 43 percent of Wounded Warrior Project's annual spending went for programs — not including direct mail, telemarketing and other solicitation costs.

Accounting rules let charities count those costs as "program services" if they also serve an educational purpose — for example, by including a line on a direct mail piece that encourages donors to write their congressmen. But nonprofit watchdogs tend to be skeptical of the practice.

"These are nice things, but it's not what people are thinking of funding when they give to a veterans charity," said Daniel Borochoff, president of CharityWatch.

The picture improves for Wounded Warrior Project if such solicitation costs are included. Then, it jumps to 63 percent of spending — still not near the 75 percent that CharityWatch considers "highly efficient."

Wounded Warrior Project points out it is more favorably viewed by the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance, which calculates that 82 percent of the charity's money goes to programs. But the BBB includes money used for "public awareness" in its estimation of program costs.

http://m.tcpalm.com/news/2012/jul/02/wounded-warriors-get-no-bill-paying-help-from/
Back to top Go down
iwashmycar
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
iwashmycar

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 12:24 pm

that's just sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rainmang343
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 6:55 pm

I am not familiar with "Gun Talk". I have nothing against guns, gun owners & firearm companies. I just don't own any at the present time. I believe gun/weapon ownership is an integral partof who we are as Americans. We all should have the right to carry or own if we so desire. With that said. I don't understand the relationship with a National Talk Show interviewing WWP and their statement that they don't accept funds from gun companies. What am I missing here? I don't see what the interview has to do with their statement.
My heart still goes out to the soldiers that come home after fighting for our freedoms and other people of this world, with some sort of disability, be physical or mental. I feel I give with my heart in the right place, unfortunately we can't always govern the organizations in which we give to. The only way to show our disappointment is to give to some other organization and let it be known to the original charity organization why we are not making this donation to them. Their idea is good but maybe their financial practices are not.
Just my $.02 worth.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm

Well i had heard talk abou this very subject a little while ago and i was absolutely crushed to be honest with you...Angie and i have given to WWP ever since I was discharged from the Army. I WILL NOT toot my own horn as technically i "qualify" as a wounded warrior. I have never asked for nor accepted any help from WWP. Angie and i get alot of things in the mail from WWP (stickers, license plates, wrist bands, bracelets etc.). I do get invited to events all over the state. i have never participated in any of them due to several things, no time, no interest, and i usually rsvp with the instructions to give it to another warrior, someone who certainly benefit from what ever it is...Im very disappointed to hear that so LITTLE money actually goes to the WARRIORS themselves. It sounds like this charity started off small and humble and has grown to pay out 11.5 million in salaries...SERIOUSLY?? Its a charity....you get money and gifts...and you give them to those who need it....you shouldnt get paid to do that...charity to me means giving...right?? not taking!!!!!

If i rant anymore its gonna get ugly but bottom line is its B.S. ....period...!!
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Yea, we need to find a more humble down to earth charity for next year's event. Even if that means no swag from them
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:45 pm

4running wrote:
Yea, we need to find a more humble down to earth charity for next year's event. Even if that means no swag from them

I agree...was there an actual WWP representative at the last show? i dont remember there being one...and i think i remember feeling a bit let down because of it...maybe i just dont remember there being one...can someone clear that up for me please??
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 8:00 pm

There was not a representative. We also had to pay money to even be sponsored. Looking back I wished we had gone elsewhere for our charity
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 8:10 pm

well i will say that it was "well intended"..we as a close group had every intention of making it the best and giving all...which we did...i agree, i think next year we go with something else
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 8:58 pm

i found this ...though most of these folks no longer hold a seat with WWP...its still indicative of what the money goes to...i dont see almost $200k to run a charity...i know thats the way it is in the world of charities...and im not saying that its the charity itself that is screwed up...but i am saying that the people that run these charities need to be checked...

i would just assume write a check to a deserving "recipient" as to ever give another dime to a charity...in fact that is what i will do...from now on...

WWP started out raising money to help WW with bills and health care needs...now it has turned into a farse on the name! im officially done with the WWP!

Compensation of Executives at the Wounded Warrior Project in 2007
Many of these individuals no longer hold the same positions; refer to the list of board members above
NAME 2007 TITLE COMPENSATION
John Melia
Executive Director
$196,981
Steven Nardizzi
Deputy Executive Director, Operations
$160,063
Albion Giordano
Deputy Executive Director, Programs
$160,063
Cindy McDonald
Controller
$75,115
Jeffrey Searcy
Executive Vice President of Development
$130,990
John Roberts
National Service Director
$120,991
Bruce Nitsche
Executive Vice President of Special Projects
$120,991
Jeremy Chwat
Executive Vice President of Program Services
$120,991
Abigail Roberts
Executive Vice President of Marketing
$90,173
Compensation of Executives at the Wounded Warrior Project in 2008
Many of these individuals no longer hold the same positions; refer to the list of board members above.
Note however that some individuals appear to be drawing salaries under titles such as "Former Executive Director",
perhaps indicating that the position was left midway through the year.
NAME 2008 TITLE BASE BONUS OTHER COMPENSATION TOTAL REPORTABLE COMPENSATION
John Melia
Former Executive Director
$173,738
$26,850
$4,310
$204,898 + $191,000*
* John Melia also listed as an independent contractor making $191,000 in addition to his salary.
Steven Nardizzi
Executive Director
$141,163
$21,850
$293
$163,306
Albion Giordano
Deputy Executive Director
$141,163
$21,850
$0
$163,013
Jeffrey Searcy
Former Executive Vice President
$110,694
$21,850
$0
$132,544
Jeremy Chwat
Chief Program Officer
$4,902
$122,544
Adam Silva
Chief Development Officer
$4,274
$106,850
Bruce Nitsche
Executive Vice President - Special Projects
$4,495
$122,544
John Roberts
National Service Director
$4,902
$122,544
[edit]

Mr. Melia is the gentleman who actually started the WWP...he was severely wounded in Somalia in 1992. i get the pay...but seriously BONUSES for them too??
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 pm

not to play the devils advocate but here is a cross post from the blue room:

combatbevo
Quote :
While I do support WWP in it's entirety, I have to agree with their policy. They do not actively seek media attention, nor have they ever. I'm not a 'spokes-person' or can I speak directly for the organization, but the events that they sponsor or put on are meant to allow Wounded Veterans the chance to heal, physically, emotionally, mentally and in regards to their families.

I think this guy is twisting words to fit to the extreme and taking offense to the fact that he was denied by one of the largest non-profit Veterans Organizations in the country.

I have no issues, nor have I ever had any with WWP. No one that I know has ever had any either. Every time I've called or e-mailed I have gotten a quick and thorough reply along with the help that was requested. Ryan Kules (one of the founders) is one of the most genuine people that has walked the earth, IMO.

I donate monthly, give support at every event, receive items, stuff mailers, and am proud to be an Alumni of the Wounded Warrior Project. They took care of me & my buddies when we showed up at the hospital in Germany when we had nothing; provided us clothing, tolietries, phone cards; everyhting we needed to make life seem as normal as it could have at the time.

Regardless of this guys feelings, because no one would come on his show, WWP stuck to their guns (no pun intended) and he didn't like it. So he cried like the little piggy that had none.........

:smoker:

I'm sure the charity does good work but there are a lot of questionable points of their organization.
I'm curious what the donation rate/approval rating of similar charities are? I'll look it up just for ****s and giggles.
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:31 pm

In the beginning I was very proud to know our group and myself as well as others here gave money in support of our wounded vets. It does discourage me to realize WWP is really no different than many of the other charities out there where large amounts of the donations are distributed through salaries rather than going to the wounded soldiers.

If I could make a suggestion for next years show I would like to see something done for children. Whether it's for kids with illness or kids without family or however kids charities are categorized. One that comes to mind is The Victory Junction Gang Camp. I certainly do not know how it functions but it is right up the road from where I live. I know personally that children of all ages really enjoy our FJ's. Just some random thoughts.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Jami...i would absolutely vote for the Victory Junction...one of my all time favorites!!! and i KNOW that the help goes where it is supposed to...too many of these super charities pay their people way too much...isnt it all supposed to be NOT FOR PROFIT?? if thats the case why do they make so much in their salaries? and explain how they deserve a bonus? i would love to start a not for profit...charity for kids or vets...and i wouldnt ever ever not in a million years ask for a salary...i would only expect that everyone who deserves gets!

but i really do like the Victory Junction idea...i think that would be great ...awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:04 pm

Not for profit simply means they don't keep any money beyond expenses and salaries. The easy way to make a fortune in a not for profit venture is to simply pay yourself and others very high salaries. Salaries are part of the expense, and aren't paid with profits. I do believe the folks running these national charities do deserve a good salary to run them - but when a bulk of them are making well into 6 figures, it's disheartening. Especially when it's a position that would never pay that much money in any normal for profit company.

I always like donating to local run non charity charities (if that makes sense). For example, the guys that run The Flats have several open rides every year, and they are always for charity where the whole amount collected goes to a needy local recipient(s). You know that every dollar you donate goes 100% to someone that needs it - as opposed to 30 or 40 cents of every dollar (if you're lucky) to an organized charity.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 pm

in total agreement with you Nick...like i said i would just assume write a check directly to someone in need...its kinda like actually buying lunch for the homeless guy on the corner versus handing him a couple of dollars and him buy a fifth or whatever...kinda not the same thing but ya'll get my point! LOL
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:32 pm

I am sure they do a lot of good, but they are getting a little greedy and using the cause as a cover. I am the Vice President of the Chief Petty Officer's Association, Elizabeth City Chapter which is not for profit. I don't get paid. We have events to raise money so we can give the money back to the community. None of the members get paid and we struggle month to month to keep our doors open. The only thing that really helps are the retired members that come to the bar and tell sea stories every day. Their patronage keeps us going. We pay for a huge Thanksgiving Dinner every year so all of our students that can't travel home can still have a good meal. It is a pot luck and we ask for donations. Any profits we get from this goes towards X-mas presents for underprivileged kids in our area. In the spring we have fund raisers for the Special Olympics and we also host a Special Olympics Bocce Ball Tournament. Everything we do is turned back to the community in some way. That is how it is supposed to work.

Understanding that WWP is a job for some, a salary is to be expected, but if they have to take that much from the cause then they are in it for the wrong reason.

My $.02
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 10:41 pm

totald wrote:
I am sure they do a lot of good, but they are getting a little greedy and using the cause as a cover. I am the Vice President of the Chief Petty Officer's Association, Elizabeth City Chapter which is not for profit. I don't get paid. We have events to raise money so we can give the money back to the community. None of the members get paid and we struggle month to month to keep our doors open. The only thing that really helps are the retired members that come to the bar and tell sea stories every day. Their patronage keeps us going. We pay for a huge Thanksgiving Dinner every year so all of our students that can't travel home can still have a good meal. It is a pot luck and we ask for donations. Any profits we get from this goes towards X-mas presents for underprivileged kids in our area. In the spring we have fund raisers for the Special Olympics and we also host a Special Olympics Bocce Ball Tournament. Everything we do is turned back to the community in some way. That is how it is supposed to work.

Understanding that WWP is a job for some, a salary is to be expected, but if they have to take that much from the cause then they are in it for the wrong reason.

My $.02

couldnt have said it better myself....i might a little bit understand getting a salary if one was to work for one of the HUGE Non Profits...but that is what it is ..NON PROFIT...if that is all you do then maybe a little bit...like maybe "mean" income for that area or state or even nationally...but what i saw was BONUSES!...WTF? sersiously?? that is in my humble opinion inexcusable and a wanton misuse of the nonprofit idea...
doing a good deed is one thing...getting paid to do a good deed is wrong!
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:52 am

I have read this thread thoroughly, a couple of times and I cannot disagree with any of the comments posted. I am all for finding a new charity to partner with for our events and I really like Jami's idea of doing something for children this year. Please keep the conversation going and when we form the 2013 truck show committee, we will take all suggestions into consideration.

Thanks to all for your input and keep it coming.

-David
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
BT
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
BT

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 1:03 pm

One of my clients has an organization that collects money for various charities. One of them is the WWP. I will definitely be passing this info to them. Thanks!

That being said we give our biggest contributions to Easter Seals. Easter Seals helps children and adults (including vets) with special needs. Most of my interaction has been with the NY chapter, they have a school in the bronx I visited a few months ago. I have also had some interaction with Easter Seals national as well. Through this interaction I know that over 90 percent of Easter Seals NY money goes directly to services and just under 90 percent of Easter Seals National goes directly to services.

If you guys want more options I can inquire about NC/VA Easter Seals.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:03 pm

sounds great BT...lets keep the choices coming...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wounded Warrior Project   Wounded Warrior Project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wounded Warrior Project
Page 1 of 1