NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
trail-gear
SUPPORTING VENDOR - Trail-Gear
trail-gear

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Empty
PostSubject: Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats   Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi all; thought I would share some of the build challenges with the TG FJ. First of all taking out the stock seats for all those long trips! It seems there are a lot of different ways to mount aftermarket seats in FJs, but all of them entail ripping the old seats apart. I’m cheep and want to sell the old seats so this was not an option. So I used these mounts and the entire install took 2 hours.

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S111

I went with PRP racing seats, same seats used in TG race cars. The seats I picked are called "daily drivers" so the side wall isn’t too high for getting in and out of. PRP Seats. Daily Driver at $279 each it was worth it.

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Img_0911

Next I looked all over for mounting brackets, I found these at Chassis Unlimited, they are billet rails and what I liked the most was they have a ton of adjustment. Plus they bolt to any racing seat straight up. I have twice the adjustment I had before front to back. You can get them at https://www.chassisunlimited.com/products/seat-loc-billet-sliders.html

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S511

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S611

Now to removing the stock seat. Take the four mounting bolts out from the floorboard. gently lift the seat up in the front and disconnect the two plugs shown here.

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S311

Seat will come right out. Now I wanted to use the stock seatbelts (I heard that racing harnesses, although very cool, are a royal pain for a daily driver) so I needed to use the seatbelt brackets off the stock seats, just unbolted them and drilled holes in the PRP seats to mount to the side. (sorry no pics of that, they came out blurry!)

Now I mounted the rails onto the new seats, measured the distance between them, and then placed them into the location shown.

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S711

I measured the distance and a 1 1/2" angle iron worked perfectly to make the brackets, the outside of the angle lined up with the existing mounting holes in the floorboard. Marking the hole locations I made the brackets.

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S810

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S910

Now a test fit

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S1010

And finally bolt the new seats in

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S1110

Some more shots of the final product

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S1210

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S1310

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats S1410

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Img_0912

Of course I lost my sensor for my seatbelt and my passenger airbag but there are companies that make plugs for those. I believe MetalTech has one, for right now I dont miss them, airbags are dangerous when off roading as sudden drops can make them go off.

Hope this was a good read..

Last edited by trail-gear on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.trail-gear.com
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats   Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Those look pretty sweet! I'd probably black the tracks out since they're too pretty for my truck. Are they as reclined as they look?
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats   Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:36 pm

The link to the seat tracks isn't working for me...
Back to top Go down
trail-gear
trail-gear

PostSubject: Re: Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats   Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:43 pm

Speedrye wrote:
The link to the seat tracks isn't working for me...

They must have changed it, try this https://www.chassisunlimited.com/products/seat-loc-billet-sliders.html
Back to top Go down
trail-gear
trail-gear

PostSubject: Re: Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats   Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Speedrye wrote:
Those look pretty sweet! I'd probably black the tracks out since they're too pretty for my truck. Are they as reclined as they look?
not bad, about how I had my stock seats, but I would probably make the mounts an inch taller next time.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats   Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:50 pm

Better link! I'm pretty short, so I'd probably have my tracks mounted up a good ways.
Back to top Go down
trail-gear
trail-gear

PostSubject: Re: Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats   Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 10:00 pm

Speedrye wrote:
Better link! I'm pretty short, so I'd probably have my tracks mounted up a good ways.

Yeah, this was a real quick install but you can use any size angle iron to get the right height.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats   Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 10:43 pm

i like the set up...i am short also ...not just short but also short legs...my wife is just an inch taller than me and uet i have to pull the seat up about 4 inches after she drives...and i cant stand being reclined...i have to sit up and forward ...i like those seats and those rails are hot...but as Ryan said...too pretty for my truck too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats   Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Trail-Gear 2012 FJ Build - PRP Seats
Page 1 of 1