NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Empty
PostSubject: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:40 am

Has anybody here done this? I have my ipod interface connected via USB but still want to have the capability of connecting my phone/laptop/etc with the auxiliary input. I've only seen one write-up on the blue room and it wasn't very clear to me, so just wondering if anyone on here has done so, and how.

I have the Alpine CDA-117 head unit. The 3.5mm port below is only for connecting the steering controls, so I can't go that direction. I am thinking the only way is going through the bluetooth connection (top left with blue connector), or using the last two audio inputs (top right, red/white)... then soldering to the AUX input harness. Clearly I have little knowledge of audio wiring in cars... so any help would be much appreciated!

AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Cda117
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 pm

Do you have the factory USB port, or just the aux. jack?
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 1:41 pm

If you don't have a stock USB port to solder to, you can always cut a small hole anywhere you want and mount a USB Type A female solder connector and a short USB cord with a male end. Cut the USB cord so the wires are exposed and solder the ends of the wires to the USB connector. Install that in the hole you cut for it. Plug in the other end of the soldered cord in to your headunit. Should be good to go. I have no idea which wires would get soldered to which prong on the connector, but I'm sure it's not too hard to find on the internet.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 3:14 pm

Well I don't actually need another USB port... I've got the Alpine USB connected to my iPod in the glovebox already. I am more interested in also wiring the Alpine head unit to the factory Toyota AUX jack.

With that being said, I do know that I would need to cut and solder a 3.5 mm cable to the existing AUX jack -- i am just trying to figure out which Alpine connector I should use, and what the other end of the 3.5mm cable would be (by what is available on the rear of the Alpine head unit)
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 3:34 pm

AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU X500KCE236B-FHere's what I'm thinking would be best to use, but the cable costs $20! LAME!
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 3:45 pm

EBAY $7.88. That'll do! Unless someone has a better suggestion I'm just going to cut off the 3.5mm end, then solder the wires to the three (R,W,G) wires coming out of the AUX jack.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 4:05 pm

Maybe something like this:
http://www.uneeksupply.com/Alpine-CDA-117-Auxiliary-Input-Adapter-RCA-Cable_p_10760.html

and then buy an 1/8" to RCA adapter wire at radio shack, cut off the 1/8" plug and solder that wire to back of the aux. input? I have no idea if that'd work or not and I can't vouch for the website above since I just found it in a Google search...
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 4:06 pm

Oops, way behind. That's even better!
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Okay cool, thanks for your help man!
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitimeMon Dec 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Well, I guess I'm a procrastinator, but I got this hooked up this weekend. Simply plug the cable to back of head unit, match up the open wires on the other end of the cable to the harness that plugs into the AUX port, then solder. Works like a charm! Note: the harness wires (Red, Green, Grey) are different colors than the bluetooth cable (I think it was yellow, blue, and something else), so you have to fumble around with matching them up before connecting.

AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Aux_wi10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU   AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AUDIO: Connecting stock AUX input to aftermarket HU
Page 1 of 1