NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Balancing Tires With Cuts

Go down 
+3
MadToy
Crazy Hube
bigdogdewey2
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Balancing Tires With Cuts Empty
PostSubject: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 3:11 pm

I took my FJ to get the wheels balanced. The place I went to would only do two of them. They said they could not balance the ones with cuts in the sidewalls. It was a liability issue with them. Anyone else had this experience. I bought my tires at Rimzone and have been very pleased. Their price was the best when I bought the tires, and I have had great service from them rotating and balancing them so far. The fact that their shop is a few miles down the road from my house is a huge bonus. The tires were cut on a Richland Road trip last March. I am almost certain I have had them balanced between now and then.

Anyways, any had this issue?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 3:40 pm

i dont know how a cut in a sidewall can be affected by balancing...if you had them done there before then i dont know what the reason would be...other than maybe a different person you talked to??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 4:51 pm

It could have been a different person balancing it this time. I guess the concern might be that it could blow out while being balanced? However its a 3-ply tire and I have so reservations about driving them. I have been torn between them and discount tire for my next set. I would like to hear from folks that use discount tire and see if they have had this problem.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 5:31 pm

They aren't worried about them blowing on the the balancer.

In this sue happy world, you could be driving home from the tire shop and have a tire with the cut blow out. Well, most people would blame the tire shop

Which is also why Discount Tire won't mess with wheel spacers
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 7:53 pm

i guess it does boil down to sue happy...no possible of a waiver ? probably not worth even trying to find out...that makes life tough for anyone who has a cut in their tires...even street tires...another thing is they could also be pushing to sell a tire...thats more likely what its about...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:02 pm

If you go with Discount Tire, it wouldn't be an issue if you get the hazard insurance. They'll just replace the tire instead Smile
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: not concerned   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:00 pm

Discount tire in avl is not concerned. They will offer to replace if badly cut though but my understanding is the customer is always right. I have fully enjoyed my dt experience.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:19 pm

4running wrote:
They aren't worried about them blowing on the the balancer.

In this sue happy world, you could be driving home from the tire shop and have a tire with the cut blow out. Well, most people would blame the tire shop

Which is also why Discount Tire won't mess with wheel spacers

Damn it, I was thinking of getting spacers too!
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 10:58 pm

Yea its a pain in the butt....so goofy
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 11:11 pm

I understand if your belts were damaged, but I'm assuming you've just got some cuts in the rubber which isn't all that structural anyway. Maybe just tell them you'll pay them under the table so there's no record of you being there, hence you can't sue? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 11:26 pm

put a band-aid on it...that way you can say its healing...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 8:32 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
put a band-aid on it...that way you can say its healing...
I will do this next time.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Brian, they should not have a problem with balancing the tires with some small scrapes or cuts as long as they're not showing belts? Did they recommend you replacing them? I would get another shops opinion like discount. Speaking of discount. This is my first experiance with them. I would use them again and recommend getting the free tire road hazard replacment. Spacers are not welcomed at any tire shop as far as I know unless they installed them as a part of a wheel/tire package.

Funny you should bring this up. I have a similar issue with both balancing and cuts

Very Happy

I am in a bit of a pickle my self. I have some issues with my new tires not being able to get balanced properly. I went back and had them rebalanced because I was getting some shaking in the floor and steering wheel. Drove around for a couple of days no problems then it started again. I brought them back to discount for a balance check and sure enough they were off by about 7-8 oz. At this point I was like well they're heavy tires but now 3 tries latter and it's happened once again and Discount says they will just replace my tires due to (being out of round) if I want with the same tire or another brand and they recommend the BF Goodrich.

I also noticed that my front passenger tire has a big lug on the verge of falling off, this is in the center of the tire. 3 lugs look like they have some tearing and one is almost ripped off like a 1" chunk. I didn't really even spin my tires last time we were out so I am kind of concerned. Looking at BF Goodrich KM2 as my possible replacement but I really like my Kooks for an all around tire but after this not so sure about them. Also, looking at the KO but I really want the MT performance and strength.

So to sum it up, I have had my tires rebalanced 3 times now over the past month and now I have a large lug about to fall off one tire.

Sorry for the novel I guess i'm special

Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 6:41 pm

The problem is I have free balancing with them. I don't want to pay for it. I am cheap. I will probably end up buying from discount tire next set. I will give them one more shot at balancing them in a few months. If they wont balance them, I will definitely be buying from discount tire next time.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 8:18 pm

I've had 3 sets of tires from DT and will continue to be a customer of there's!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 8:24 pm

Bobby...get the tires replaced for free...DO IT...DO IT...get the BFG KM2...you wont regret it at all..
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
Bobby...get the tires replaced for free...DO IT...DO IT...get the BFG KM2...you wont regret it at all..

I think this is the route I will be taking. 285/75r16 KM2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balancing Tires With Cuts   Balancing Tires With Cuts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Balancing Tires With Cuts
Page 1 of 1