NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A-Track install Question

Go down 
+3
ULTIMATEcruiser
MadToy
BT
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BT
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
BT

A-Track install Question Empty
PostSubject: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Hey guys,
A couple of guys recommended I do a A-Track install on today's ride through Uwharrie.

I found this video on YouTube and was wondering if it is really this simple. Also where is the best place (by best I mean cheapest) to get a switch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT8E7BGYzns

Thanks for the help!

--BT
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 8:31 pm

Does that really work on the FJ's? Do they have all of the other pieces to make it work?

The Tacoma has a blank switch also, and it does have the wires attached to the back of it - but it doesn't have all of the other components for ATRAC. Toyota ran the wires to the dash on all vehicles, but didn't put the other necessary parts on it if it didn't have the ATRAC option. Hard to believe they would put all the pieces on the FJ but the switch.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 8:36 pm

I guess the FJ does come with it all. TRDParts4U is a Toyota dealer, and they say if your FJ has a rear locker, then it has everything for ATRAC but the switch.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=-7313
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Yep, if the FJ has the rear locker it has all the components for A-trac.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Now A-trac comes with most packages, but for those without the packages it is offered as a $1500 option. Man I would hate to be the guy who added that option and then did this research.
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 11:09 pm

Back a couple years ago I entered a photo contest on the Rice Toyota FB page and came in 2nd. I requested the a-trac switch as my prize and got it. It is as simple as plug n play. Definitely a mod worth doing if you have the rear e-locker.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: e locker plus atrac   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Yep if you have elocker and atrac working together you are super capable as opposed to just the locker.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 3:11 pm

The next step would be adding a front locker... which is on my list... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 4:13 pm

Southeast Overland wrote:
The next step would be adding a front locker... which is on my list... Very Happy

yeah i really would like to go that route too...but im thinking by the time i get to putting in a front locker i might as well go ahead and solid axle the front...
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 4:36 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
Southeast Overland wrote:

yeah i really would like to go that route too...but im thinking by the time i get to putting in a front locker i might as well go ahead and solid axle the front...

A solid front axle, done right, is $$$$$$$$$$$. That's one reason I went with the Total Chaos LT front (which just arrived BTW).

To get back on topic (just a bit) I've heard ATRAC doesn't work as well with real big meats (~37" tires) like you would run on a solid front axle. Anyone have any first hand experience with ATRAC and 37"+ tires?
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 4:56 pm

i honestly have yet to see an FJ with 37"s...largest i have ever seen is a 35"...i doubt that you could get a 37" on a Fj without having to cut the body up big time..i can see them maybe on the rears...but doubt at all you could get 37" in the finder well ...EFFECTIVELY....may only be able to go in a straight line...lol
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 10:40 am

Yup, if you have the rear locker just add a switch, did it with mine as soon as I bought it in 06.

37's on an FJC has been done, but as mentioned above, with lots of work. Runining anything bigger than 35's will start a mod process that simply may not be worth the cost. OPINION

Going with a solid axle for the FJC will certainly help with the cause of running 37's. To my knowledge the closest "kit" for doing this is offered by All Pro. You will have some work to do in order to get ATRAC working if you wish to keep that function. Obviously a locker is far less work.

I would guess that the low end of a solid axle in an FJC would be in the $7K range and that is with the owner doing all the work and buying junk yard parts. If you go with new parts such as axle, easy to go well over $10K. THen you have to look at the rear axle as well. No sense doing all that work up front only to have an already small ring gear and limited suspension movement.

One item many overlook when thinking about a solid axle is steering. Your current R&P will not work. The hard reality is, for what it costs to add a solid axle up front and then deal with the rear axle as well you can get into a nice truggy or similar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A-Track install Question   A-Track install Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A-Track install Question
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: The Garage :: How to....-
Jump to: