NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New to forum. Start of my build.

Go down 
+2
bigdogdewey2
sportsman.ncsu
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sportsman.ncsu
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
sportsman.ncsu

New to forum. Start of my build. Empty
PostSubject: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 11:03 pm

Introduced myself in the 6MT thread.

But as of now I am already starting with what seems to be the general build up of my 2008 Black FJ.

Already ordered the Baja Utility rack (thanks Steve) and I am picking up my K&N 60-9030 tomorrow; Hopefully will get it installed tomorrow afternoon sometime.

Looking for the next steps...
-New front bumper (have a couple in mind, still undecided)
-Black out for grill, mirrors, and door handles
-PIAA front/grill mounts and replacement bulbs for the stock headlights.
-Lift (want to level), increase suspension tension, but not lift more than 2" or so
-Ladder
-URD or something similar short throw shifter
-Winch (thinking warn, but am open to other advice)

More to come, with pictures as parts are gotten around to getting and putting on.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Looking forward to meeting up with people in the area soon.

-Sportsman
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 11:10 pm

good luck with your build...the baja rack is nice...build it the way you want to build it...there are lots and lots of choices..and not too many of them are/will be bad...
Back to top Go down
85runner
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
85runner

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 am

Where abouts at state are you. I'm a freshman this year and I haven't seen many fj's driving around.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 8:38 am

Welcome again, congrats on the purchase of the Bajarack! I know you will like it! Glad to see you purchased it from Steve. South East Overland is a GREAT company and he is a great supporter of the group!

As for any suggestion, check out Orange Boxx design and Fabrication (OBDF) for a set of sliders.rock rails. Darell is another great guy and loyal supported of the NCFJ Cruisers. By looking at the forum, it looks like 2 members just ordered a set for themselves recently. From what I understand, the price is excellent and the customer service is above excellent!

Good luck with the build and e are glad to have you here!

- David B
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 5:32 pm

Welcome
Back to top Go down
sportsman.ncsu
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
sportsman.ncsu

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:33 pm

85runner wrote:
Where abouts at state are you. I'm a freshman this year and I haven't seen many fj's driving around.

This is my fifth year here at state. I'm all around man, live on the Hillsborough side of things.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 11:42 pm

sportsman.ncsu wrote:
85runner wrote:

This is my fifth year here at state. I'm all around man, live on the Hillsborough side of things.

Can you make the OBX run?
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
fjdarrell
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
fjdarrell

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:39 am

Definitely check out obdf
Back to top Go down
sportsman.ncsu
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
sportsman.ncsu

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 4:51 pm

David B wrote:
sportsman.ncsu wrote:
85runner wrote:

Can you make the OBX run?

Was looking at that thread earlier, anymore details I should know before I book a room? I have to make sure the dates work for me but otherwise I'd be game
Back to top Go down
sportsman.ncsu
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
sportsman.ncsu

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 4:56 pm

Anybody seen these yet? And are these grill replacements different than the ones at TRD4U?

http://www.purefjcruiser.com/new-carbon-fiber-abs-door-handle-covers-p-4458.html
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 7:57 pm

ive seen these...i honestly would be afraid that they would come off...as they are just covers...just my $.02 ...
Back to top Go down
sportsman.ncsu
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
sportsman.ncsu

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 3:54 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
ive seen these...i honestly would be afraid that they would come off...as they are just covers...just my $.02 ...

Did not realize they were covers. Thanks, ha.

What about the other grills? Are they more glossy or anything different than the other black out kits?
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 5:25 pm

honest truth...buy the Tundra handles they are pretty cheap...paint your mirrors, and grill and everything else...in the end it will be more fun and its actually pretty easy...did my mirrors, grill, handles in about an hour ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 10:05 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
honest truth...buy the Tundra handles they are pretty cheap...paint your mirrors, and grill and everything else...in the end it will be more fun and its actually pretty easy...did my mirrors, grill, handles in about an hour ...
Once I do this mod I will do it exactly like this.
Back to top Go down
sportsman.ncsu
Greenhorn
Greenhorn
sportsman.ncsu

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 5:17 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:

Appreciate the advice. Any recommendations on how? Plasti dip?

And what sites are good for lights, PIAA in-particular
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 6:01 pm

the mirrors and door handles come out very easily...undo the panel, make sure you leave the wondows UP and unbolt them then paint em...i have never used plasti-dip so i cant say one way or the other..but i used rustoleum flat black for all my paint ...take your time and i guarantee that you will feel a sense of accomplishment when your done..
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 9:50 pm

I just got done plasti dipping and I've got to say its some pretty awesome stuff. If you mess up peel it off and start over!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to forum. Start of my build.   New to forum. Start of my build. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to forum. Start of my build.
Page 1 of 1