NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Empty
PostSubject: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 9:49 am

Flushead me and my family had a fun filled weekend out in tn. at Bumpass cove road. A ton of and some of the most scenic land in the eastern us for sure. The main trail eventually makes it up to a razorback ridgeline, and then opens to a huge moutain top meadow for camping. We enjoyed the cool weather 67 daytime, and down to about 52 saturday night at that elevation. We have been thinking maybe a labor day trail ride and camping up there. Oh yeah videos will be up some time this week. We only did about 1/2 of the trails as we ran outta time.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 am

Pics? How challenging is this, compared to say Richland Rd?
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: bumpass cove road this weekend for sure.    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 am

Never been to richland rd. It is pretty challenging. The last time I went before last weekend was about 24 months ago. It was very easy if you stayed on the trail at the end of the fire road. The trail at the end of the fire road is now a locker and lift neccesity. We did have a stock tacoma 2003 with bald michellins no problems or damage. We did have to hook him up to a strap for one particulary washed out off camber section. Very slow wheeling on those washouts but we had a blast. The lower trail is also now open so next time we wanna check that out, and we were given directions to another nearby trail I think it was call horse creek trail about 7 miles from bumpass cove. The footage will be up later this week once my my wife can upload it. Flushead got some gopro, and we got some hidef so should be good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 am

Definitely interested.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeMon Aug 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Definitely need to plan a trip here. Looks like some really nice scenery....

Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 6:55 am

I think should be the next planned "Snow Run!"
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: Bumpass cove road     Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 10:00 am

We definently need to plan a trip to bumpass with a bunch of trucks. Maybe the fireroad in the snow but the trails are way too gnarly for snow none the less even rain would turn it into a body damage fest. I fully bent and dented my predator step rails they always bent back down though. The trails are rutted out super deep from washing out the trails turn to creeks during heavy rains. It is slow and nerve racking but a really good rush at the same time. We all made it through without any damage to speak of though.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 12:11 pm

where exactly is Bumpass rd.? city, state? looks pretty fun and i wouldnt mind giving it a go...how long of a trail is it? how long does it take to do the whole thing? i jsut dont want to drive for 3 hours then only be on the trail for an hour...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 1:32 pm

Looks like it's about 20 minutes or so south of Johnson City, TN, and maybe an hour north of Asheville.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: hours of fun and then sleep and more hours of fun    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 6:52 pm

There are multiple trails and un run trails as well. There is a 7-8 mile fire road entrance that after 8 miles turns into gnarly trail that runs a 2-3 mile ridgetrail to a huge high elevation meadow that we camped in. sweet level camping. Then there is a raw 4x4 acess trail from the bottom up about a 4-6 hour ride hairy steep off camber but much fun. I did it in a stock cherokee once no body damage. The directly below bumpass cove is the nolichucky river with some beach like swim hole cool water and rocks to jump off. Then 7 miles away is horse creek 4x4 trails haven't checked that out yet but probably sweet. This area is super remote and fun. Some truly nice wilderness.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 7:26 pm

id like to do it sometime..but it seems that from here and 3+ hour drive i would have to make a night of it too...
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: Oh yeah    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Oh yeah it is definently an overnight camping event even if you lived here. But is also well worth a planned weekend some of the prettiest trail views I've seen.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Ok, so someone throw a dart at the calendar...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2012 9:19 pm

I would vote early/mid October. Gotta be very nice up there that time of year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove    Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spent the weekend in beautiful Bumpass Cove
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: Events :: Individual Trail Rides-
Jump to: