NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Front Receiver Hitch

Go down 
+2
bigdogdewey2
rylandnc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

Front Receiver Hitch Empty
PostSubject: Front Receiver Hitch   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Thinking about getting a front receiver hitch. This is in lieu of a new bumper so I can keep the weight down (plus I just kinda like the OEM look). This way I can get a multi mount winch mount for use at times I need it and be able to have a cooler/rod rack for the beach trips.

I'm looking at the CURT front receiver which seems pretty simple to install and can get it for around $150.

Besides approach angle concerns you mountain goats will tell me about, any other negatives?

http://www.etrailer.com/Front-Hitch/Toyota/FJ+Cruiser/2011/31367.html?vehicleid=20117988

Front Receiver Hitch Rid36015_r1_800

Last edited by rylandnc on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected the link)
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Front Receiver Hitch   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 1:07 pm

Mountains goats...lol that cool..hey Ryland i think its a great idea...doesnt look like it will "kill" your approach angle too badly... but that pic is also of a truck with a 6" lift...there is a difference there too...
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Front Receiver Hitch   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 2:14 pm

I saw the same thing. With a six inch I don't think it would even have an impact, but if you don do hard trails that often you can always find a work around.
Back to top Go down
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

PostSubject: Re: Front Receiver Hitch   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 2:43 pm

I'm not gonna do a 6' lift. Mine is stock. That just happens to be the pic I found with the hitch. Since I don't do mountain climbing with mine, I don't think clearance will be an issue for me. Looking at some of the other pictures on etrailer, I really don't think it will be an issue except maybe pushing sand which doesn't bother me (other parts would be doing the same thing without it). It has a 9k line pull strength so it has the capability that I would need.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Front Receiver Hitch   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 3:24 pm

I would say Toy Outfitters front bumper, but that is more to meet my needs. The front receiver is probably enough for yours. You could always add a 1.5 spacer to your front coils to keep you out of the sand. Cheap and easy and probably make your FJ a little meaner looking.

Toy Outfitters Front Bumper
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: receiver   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 5:25 pm

There is a receiver bumper that replaces the lower silver part of the bumper. It keeps your factory clearance no lift needed. Then you could get a raised receiver basket for your cooler. I don't what company makes it but I bet purefjcruiser will have it.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Front Receiver Hitch   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 7:32 pm

i know that Lucrum used to make the winch mount that fit inside the the bumper...but im pretty sure they are out of business...another thing you can do is have a receiver built into the bumper that kinda is like MADTOYs...may have to cut a little of the plastic so it sticks out right...

i do think that the one from Etrailer is just perfect for you Ryland...go for it
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: Front Receiver Hitch   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:47 pm

I can not get the link to CURT to come up, but I am pretty sure that the only attachment point is to the stock "bumper" mount plates. These plates are not very stout and I would certainly not trust them to the stresses of winching.

I have built 2" receiver mounts in the past that come through the lower grill opening rather than under the bumper. It was fabricated to use both the stock plate mounts and also attach to two points on the sides of the frame as well. I used this mount on my own FJ for a while and it held up to the riggers of winching without issue.

Stan
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: Front Receiver Hitch   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitimeSun Jul 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Man i like that toy outfitter bumper...its prob light weight enough that i would have to change my coils and shocks...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Receiver Hitch   Front Receiver Hitch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Receiver Hitch
Page 1 of 1