NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Someone got on the news in OBX!

Go down 
+3
smoky cruiser
totald
Imperial AT-FJ
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Imperial AT-FJ

Someone got on the news in OBX!  Empty
PostSubject: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:59 am

http://wtkr.com/2012/06/20/business-owners-driving-ban-on-obx-bad-for-bottom-line/#ooid=pmcjY3NToXGmVw2Pgk-TIR5LYRMJEntc
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 2:08 am

someone from VA
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: OBX   Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 9:48 am

It would really be a shame if they close the beach access. I grew up at the obx every summer and my dad always took us out 4wheeling on the beach. That is where I got to drive first in a 1982 datsun 4x4 extra cab pick up. I was 9 I thin in 1989. We used to go to oregon inlet, and carova. It would be a deal breaker if they close the beach access.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Imperial AT-FJ

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Im in the same boat brother! grew up in Avon, near Hatteras. Its pretty much all closed up, Even "the point" isnt open even for foot traffic!!! think the last NPS survey said there was only a total of 19 miles left open for ORV out of the 64 original, totally not worth $120 permit!
Back to top Go down
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Imperial AT-FJ

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Here is the link to NPS's Google Earth link, were you can see whats left in green....

http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/googleearthmap.htm
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Maybe we need to officially get involved as an organized group? I feel we are getting large enough that we may have a relavent voice? Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 5:54 pm

ya cant beat the tree huggers and the sand sifters...its sad to say...the people that will have the lagrest voice in this matter will be the business owners...they are the ones who will lose the most...once or twice visitors really mean nothing as a group...but the ones losing daily income are the real losers in the battle...voices are strong but nothing beats the almighty dollar...it would cost a fortune to try to do anything legal like...injunctions and the like...
Back to top Go down
Imperial AT-FJ
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
Imperial AT-FJ

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 12:22 am

yeah Im part of 3 groups trying to fight this right now, were not getting much done other than informing people who didnt realize this was happening...
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 12:41 am

Just figured that we should somehow throw our support behind local business owners. Sometimes the more organized groups that put their names toward a cause the better it looks. I know some of you here spent a good bit of time at the outer banks. so I thought we could somehow voice our support of local businesses and our I opposition of these ludicrous laws.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 1:10 am

David i am in total agreement with you...however its folks like you and me that are only at the OBX maybe once a year that are limited...if i was down there once a month or so it would be a different story...i certainly dont want the OBX beaches shut down ...bottom line is it takes money lots of money to fight the big lawyers. i would be all for a "collection" of sorts ...
Back to top Go down
rylandnc
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
rylandnc

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 9:02 am

I'm glad to see this interest in helping. As a member of of the NC Beach Buggy Association (NCBBA) fighting to protect access to the area, I urge you to please contact your senator. Read below for the latest progress on the fight.

Please follow this NCBBA link on what you can do now and how to do it.
CONTACT YOUR SENATOR

FYI on the latest developments...

Dare County Official Press Release:

For Immediate Release:7:15 p.m., Tuesday, June 19, 2012 Contact:Dorothy KillingsworthDare County Public Information Officer252-473-8328

Beach Access Legislation Passes in the House of Representatives

In a historic legislative move, the U.S. House of Representatives has passed H.R. 4094 to restore reasonable access to the Cape Hatteras National Seashore Recreational Area. The bill, introduced by Congressman Walter Jones, was approved Tuesday, June 19, 2012 and passed in a 232 to 188 vote.

H.R. 4094 was included in a package of bills grouped together under H.R. 2578, known as the Conservation and Economic Growth Act. The bill would reinstate the Interim Management Plan that was in place prior to the restrictive consent decree and ORV Rule implemented by the National Park Service.

The 2008 consent decree imposed rigid and severe beach access restrictions that have hurt the local economy and limited the Superintendent from utilizing an active management approach that would better help wildlife at the seashore

Chairman Warren Judge, who testified before a Congressional Subcommittee urging the passage of H.R. 4094, described the significance of today’s vote. “The House of Representatives has passed a landmark piece of legislation,” Judge said. “It will provide reasonable recreational access in a way that utilizes science based resource management for shorebirds and turtles.” Judge added, “H.R. 4094 represents a true win-win situation, for both people and wildlife.”

Vice-Chairman Allen Burrus thanked Congressman Walter Jones and his staff for their efforts to get House passage of H.R. 4094. “They did the right thing for the people of Hatteras Island and the businesses that have suffered for too long,” Burrus said. “My hope is that this will be a stepping stone to pass similar legislation in the U.S. Senate.”

A companion bill has been sponsored in the U.S. Senate by Senator Richard Burr and Senator Kay Hagan. Senate Bill 2372 will be the subject of a Congressional Hearing next week.
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: beach access   Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeSat Jun 23, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm all for fighting in any way to keep the beach access open. We spent a ton of time down there when my granny was still alive and resided in nags head for 60 years. We still go down to nags head at least once or twice a year and the orv access is truly important to us.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
CarolinaCruiser15
Gunner
Gunner
CarolinaCruiser15

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2012 12:25 pm

I agree with Mike.... the only people who's say matters is really the business owners. Unfortunately, no one cares about inconveniencing people who only visit once a year (i.e US)... we're not really bringing enough business to the area to make a difference thus have very little say.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/rolando.villegas
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Someone got on the news in OBX!    Someone got on the news in OBX!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Someone got on the news in OBX!
Page 1 of 1