NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Empty
PostSubject: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Here's my prototype rear storage unit. I just installed it yesterday. I still have to add a lock to keep it from sliding to the door during acceleration. I have it offset to the left side as I store my heavy tool kit to the right. The drawer is on lowes 100lb slides and seems to be pretty beefy. I love it so far, and plan on dialing it in a little better.

Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build DSCF7151Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build DSCF7149Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build DSCF7150Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build DSCF7148

Last edited by smoky cruiser on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 pm

Very nice. Where does the green color come from. I love the PBR paper weight...
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 10:55 pm

Where did you get the black drawer pulls
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 11:30 pm

Good deal, I might have to do one for mine now.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 am

I've been contemplating doing something like this in mine; however, I use the rear mostly for hauling my two dogs (boxers) around... I wonder if it would look alright building a lower profile one, then covering it with something the dogs can grip?
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: drawer storage   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:20 am

The black pull is a regular lowes pull I found, and plasti dipped it. The stain is one of many colors they also have at lowes. It is one of the colors I chose for my kids bunk bed ladder (leftovers) I plan on rhino lining the box eventually as $ becomes available. A bunch of people on the blue room/centralfjs/socalfjs have used boat carpet, you can also buy different types of rubber. I cut out below the drawer to save the weight, and that is why I went with open sides asz well, just trying to keep the weight down. Lower profile would work great, I would make sure it is tall enough for whatever you plan to haul.
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:52 am

Mine is 10" tall but I also haul my dogs around. They still stanp up fine. (Lab and a bulldog/boxer). I covered the box with rubber exercise mat so stuff will not slide around. When I put the dogs in, I will toss in the heavy rubber mat I had on the floor of the FJ.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:59 am

Haha yea one of mine is an English Bulldog/Boxer too... needs help climbing up as it is! Good to know that they can fit with a 10-inch box though!
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: boxes   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Ithink mine is 10 inches too. I haven't had a chance to see if the dogs will like it I gotta a 90 lb pit.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 8:41 pm

10 inches will not allow me to fit my pooches...Dewey pretty much touches the the back door when i put hi min and Della is not far behind...not to mention he weighs 218 and she is around 140...i will make mine much thinner...like around 4"...but mine will probably be out of aluminum...
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:48 pm

I've seen your dogs...maybe a trailer would work better Mike...
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 9:49 pm

BTW Mike...is you FJ all better and trail ready? And are you out of the dog house yet? We need to make another URE run!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 pm

yeah its better...in the rear ..thats for sure...however i have developed a serious clunk sound comming from the front..

only happens when im in a full left turn just after it has been parked for a while. mostly in reverse but also in drive....tite left hand turn, slow moving after its been sitting for a while...weird...
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: Old Man Emu install    Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:09 pm

So I started my old man emu install. I deinstalled the rear zone lift and toyota coils/shocks. In about 1 1/2 hours put on the ome rear heavy lift. The ride is smooth and does not sway any more. I am really satisfied with the heavy springs. I towed my trash trailer today with over 2500 lbs no saggin at all. Really a solid feeling truck now. I will be posting some pics as I finish up the front hopefully this week, also a few pics of the light racing ucas install. I have found out I might be getting my obfd rock rails on wednesday night delivered by darrel. That means I might have them on this weekend for richland rd. If any one wants a pair of mangled factory predator rails they still offer protection, but are bent and dented pretty heavy. They have saved my quarter panels repeatedly though.
Back to top Go down
FJ Derek
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
FJ Derek

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 11:29 pm

If you're supposed to have yours by Wednesday hopefully I'll have mine around the same time since we ordered them the same day!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build   Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smoky Cruiser work and play fj build
Page 1 of 1