Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Clicking noise when in reverse?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 8:43 pm

I noticed today when I was backing into the driveway that there was a clicking noise. I went forward and backwards a few times and really only noticed it when in reverse. Nothing feels impeded. It seems to be coming from underneath, but external. I really couldn't tell in the FJ. It kind of sounds like the wheel-of-fortune wheel being spun slowly. Any idea?

I am hoping it might just be something caught, but not sure why I would just hear it in reverse. I am headed to Uwharrie tomorrow. Perhaps I will break something.
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 pm

I have a single click if I "goose it" while in reverse...Never really thought about it...until now.Suspect scratch

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....

Last edited by David B on Thu May 24, 2012 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Probably a CV. They get a ton of wear and tear off road. Especially with A-Trac.

I highly recommend you carry and extra with you and the few tools needed to change one. It's like a $100 investment, but beats being stuck in the forest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 9:31 pm

4running wrote:
Probably a CV. They get a ton of wear and tear off road. Especially with A-Trac.

I highly recommend you carry and extra with you and the few tools needed to change one. It's like a $100 investment, but beats being stuck in the forest.

You might be right but it seems to be coming from the rear. And only in reverse. I will talk to you this weekend about spare parts. I am starting to travel further to wheel and want to get spare stuff.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 9:41 pm

Brian wrote:
4running wrote:

You might be right but it seems to be coming from the rear. And only in reverse. I will talk to you this weekend about spare parts. I am starting to travel further to wheel and want to get spare stuff.

Sounds good! I have had my fair share of trail breakages, and you can't be prepared for all of them. Just look at my last breakage, the P/S line failure, I was so close to just having it towed home.

You can't have parts for everything, but I figure I am gonna break a CV pretty soon, so I carry two with me. I also have every tool I would ever need in my car.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 10:58 pm

More likely your E-brake......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 11:04 pm

MadToy wrote:
More likely your E-brake......

I was wondering about that....

Follow me on Twitter: @NCFJ_Cruisers1

NCFJ Cruisers YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NCFJCruisers

2010 Trail Teams Edition - ToyTec 3" Ultimate Lift, Light Racing UCA's, PIAA XTreme White Plus headlights, PIAA 520 series Fog/Driving lights, 2010 BudBuilt Front Skid, BudBuilt engine skid, Ricochet LCA guards, BajaRack OEM roofrack basket, MaxTrax recovery ramps, Husky Floor Liners, Midland 75-822 40 Channel 2 Way Radio, Bandi Mount with 4' Firestick II, OrangeBoxx Side Cubby PSD (NCFJ Edition), Outrider Suspension armor, K&N drop in airfilter for on-road travel, OEM Airfilter when wheeling.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 11:09 pm

Quite possible, how do the E-brakes work on the FJ's? Is there a little drum brake inside of the brake rotor?

I will say that before my CV went out it clicked loudly when spinning in reverse rotation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 11:13 pm

yeah the ebrake is to both rear wheels and it is drum brakes that pin to the inside of the rotor...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Thu May 24, 2012 11:17 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
yeah the ebrake is to both rear wheels and it is drum branks that pin to the inside of the rotor...

10-4

Well you should be able to adjust them by slowly driving in reverse and actuating the E-Brake until it is fully engaged. I do this once a month, keeps the E-brake nice and tight, and since I have drums in the rear it keeps them in adjustment.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Fri May 25, 2012 7:26 am

4running wrote:
Well you should be able to adjust them by slowly driving in reverse and actuating the E-Brake until it is fully engaged. I do this once a month, keeps the E-brake nice and tight, and since I have drums in the rear it keeps them in adjustment.

I gave this a shot. Hopefully that was all it was. I will see later this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Wed May 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Brian, anyword on this issue?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Wed May 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I haven't heard it the this past week. I am now convinced the cure to any mechanical issue is to get it vertical on Dickey Bell Hill! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   Wed May 30, 2012 10:45 pm

I think i posted this in another thread but the click in the rear is the slop of the rear hub bearing race where it is pressed onto the axle shaft. It wont hurt and every toy axle I have ever wheeled around does the pop click noise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clicking noise when in reverse?   

Back to top Go down

Clicking noise when in reverse?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1