Share | 

learn to work on your own vehicle....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 1:48 pm

I have just made the realization that if you own a newer or even new to you vehicle that you REALLY have to learn to do alot of the work and maintenance on your own....

i took my FJ up to Discount tire and Precision tune to get 2 wheel studs pressed into the axle shaft so that i could mount tires...i got 4 in by myself by hand no air tool help at all...(its a real biscuit eater) make sure your in shape...lol...anyway i figured on just taking it up to the shop and have them quickly press the two remaining studs in...

Discount tire company....first off they are a tire and wheel store...so you would figure that they could do the job right?? WRONG...they apparently dont have the tooling...tooling?? seriously?? ok whatever..

Precision Tune ....$244...thats right $144 to press in two wheel studs...ok so the guy tells me its 1.6 hours of work and they go by the book...1.6 hours really?? i can take the wheel, the brake caliper parts, the emergency brake hardware off in less than 5 minutes..and im not a "trained mechanic"...ok so its kinda tricky putting the E brake stuff back ...but like i said im not a "trained mechanic"...if i had an air compressor and an impact gun i could do this whole job in roughly 20 minutes...

so anyway now im off to the barn to hand press two studs...not fun...but cheap!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Wow. You can probably find yourself a press for the $144, and save it for future use.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm thinkin of getting a battery powered impact wrench...that way I can take it with me ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orange Boxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 3:48 pm

A good bottle jack could go along way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Look at it as an excuse to buy tools to do the work yourself!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 4:15 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
I'm thinkin of getting a battery powered impact wrench...that way I can take it with me ..

One of the best tools I ever bought! Well worth a couple hundred bucks for a good one......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Yeah cuz putting the wheel studs is easy if you have access to an impact wrench...other wise it just plain sucks...

So ok now I got the wheel studs in and everything is back together...no dummy or idiot lights...cycles thru allthe gears and hi Lo....so all is good...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 8:50 pm

i dont work without power tools... I actually forgot how to use my ratchet wrenches when i was working on my 1st gen it had been so long. I couldnt figure out how to get it to tighten but only loosen. Turns out you only have to turn it over. Im so used to impacts and air wrenches and electric drill drivers... when it doesnt have a forward reverse switch im lost.

But on to the topic. I highly recomend everyone at least know how to take your front CV's in and out and remove a driveshaft. Those are two major issues with IFS wheeling that will put a crimp on everyones dayif they break and you dont have the tools or knowledge to change them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 9:00 pm

I carry a spare front axle and the tools to change it in my bed at all times. Looking to pick up a spare rear axle also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Well, I hope one of you guys break down when I am around so I can watch and learn. I might even go as far as to sabotage one of your rigs. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 pm

I carry a CV. A rear axle would be good but I'm more likely to blow a diff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 9:56 pm

i love working on my own stuff...and in the end if you can do alot of your won work...you can save many dollars!! lol...plus the more you work on your junk the more confident you get with doing anything on it...i have taken the rear diff apart three times now...and pulled both axles at least 2 times each...i now know the tools and where all the angles are to get at all of the "hidden" stuff...i love it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   Mon May 14, 2012 10:01 pm

oh yeah and carrying a spare rear axle shaft for the FJ well you cnat just carry one...and hope that it does bothe sides...it aint gonna happen that way...the hubs are side specific...so you have to carry both sides...and have them prepressed ....at the tune of about $1400-$1500...

front axles are cheap enough...you can get them on ebay from $65-$100 ...look for the axles from a 4RNR...same things and easier to find than actual FJ axles...

Remember that you are actually driving a pretty elite vehicle ...as in not ALOT of folks have these...so there isnt much as far as in the Junk Yards....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: learn to work on your own vehicle....   

Back to top Go down

learn to work on your own vehicle....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1