Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalCalendarFAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
dwc2134
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 1:21 am

Figured it was only right that I register and introduce myself prior to moving down to North Carolina. I'm Will, and I recently picked up a 2012 FJ, Cavalry Blue with a few of the bells and whistles, but not all of them (normal east coast upgrade package, roof rack, running boards). I'm currently living in Lynchburg, Virginia (I know I've seen a few other Virginians whilst lurking on here), but I'm moving down to Charlotte in August for school.

I've got fairly limited plans for the FJ right now. Mainly daily driver, occasional light wheeler and camping rig. I've got a beat up '88 Ramcharger as my trail rig, so when I wanna try to break some parts at Crozet or some of the harder trails at Uwharrie I'll go home and get it, but I'd rather not drive four hours one way every time I get the urge to go wheeling. First up is some real tires, the stock H/T bridgestones are, in my opinion, way to flimsy for a 4500# vehicle, and would be useless in the dirt anyway. I'm currently looking at the Cooper STTs, stock size. After that, rock rails, more recovery equipment, a hammock tent, and similar such items. Maybe a leveling kit, but no more lift then that, and nothing taller then stock tires.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 8:56 am

dwc2134 wrote:

I've got fairly limited plans for the FJ right now.
dwc2134 wrote:

I'm currently looking at the Cooper STTs, stock size. After that, rock
rails, more recovery equipment, a hammock tent, and similar such items.
Maybe a leveling kit, but no more lift then that, and nothing taller
then stock tires.

Yep. You're screwed! Smile

Welcome from the Charlotte area.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 9:42 am

Welcome to our group. Sooner or later you will hit the trail with us, then you will get addicted. VA is too far away to drive and get your truck. You will look back at this post and laugh as you willingly throw your money away fixing up the FJ.
Back to top Go down
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 9:48 am

Welcome from Charlotte! That mod list will triple if you start hanging around us too long! haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.asi-autosolutions.com
dwc2134
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 11:45 am

I've already got a mod list long enough for my wallet to hang its self from for my XD. I'm gonna try to balance what I do between both rigs. The ramcharger doesn't have a monthly car note attached to it. I'll actually be down at uwharrie in June with the local central Virginia club, so I'll see just how much wheeling i'm willing to do with the fj then. If all else fails, I'll move the ram down to NC with me.

Okay, so that's all probably BS, and you'll probably soon see a low buck, dual purpose build up from me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 5:07 pm

yeah ...you will decide that you will need or WANT larger tires...stock siz is ok.but i will tell you now that before you spend the money on the stock size go ahead and get a larger size....you wont regret that..you WILL regret not getting the bigger size...one time on the trail with the FJ and you will become a FJ crack hoochie....

as Madtoy said...."you're screwed".....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwc2134
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 5:33 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
yeah ...you will decide that you will need or WANT larger tires...stock siz is ok.but i will tell you now that before you spend the money on the stock size go ahead and get a larger size....you wont regret that..you WILL regret not getting the bigger size...one time on the trail with the FJ and you will become a FJ crack hoochie....

as Madtoy said...."you're screwed".....

I've got a dedicated wheeling rig that has one ton axles and 35-37s coming within the next 6-12 months, I don't think the FJ will need anything above MAYBE a 33/285, but right now I'm thinking 32/275, since I'm not willing to chop the body mount until the car note stops coming. I need to keep this first and foremost a reasonably economical daily driver, meaning keeping the MPG as close to the 16-22 that most people report as possible.

The first actual mod besides some real tires I wanna do is a set of freedom windows for the rear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 5:37 pm

wow...i get 18 and 22 with all the stuff i have done ....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwc2134
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 5:43 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
wow...i get 18 and 22 with all the stuff i have done ....

285's isn't a bad tire size, even for a DD. Have you chopped the body mount, and if not any rubbing? I think I skimmed through your build up in the blue room, but I can't remember.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 5:49 pm

body mount is almost gone...and i dont have a build thread in the blue room...sorry you have me mistaken for someone else...LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 6:07 pm

dwc2134 wrote:
I've got a dedicated wheeling rig that has one ton axles and 35-37s coming within the next 6-12 months, I don't think the FJ will need anything above MAYBE a 33/285, but right now I'm thinking 32/275, since I'm not willing to chop the body mount until the car note stops coming. I need to keep this first and foremost a reasonably economical daily driver, meaning keeping the MPG as close to the 16-22 that most people report as possible.

The first actual mod besides some real tires I wanna do is a set of freedom windows for the rear.

255/85/16 or 255/80/17, nice height (33+), less tire weight, less road resistance, great traction, and typically cost less than the 285 counterparts. No body mount chop required. I was getting around 19 mpg with a good range of driving conditions. I have added a good amount of armor/skids and still avg 18 - 18.5 mpg.
Back to top Go down
dwc2134
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 6:19 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
body mount is almost gone...and i dont have a build thread in the blue room...sorry you have me mistaken for someone else...LOL

Seems so. There is a user on there that refers to the green as "marine" green as well, so that was what led me to believe it might be your build thread.

Brian wrote:

255/85/16 or 255/80/17, nice height (33+), less tire weight, less road resistance, great traction, and typically cost less than the 285 counterparts. No body mount chop required. I was getting around 19 mpg with a good range of driving conditions. I have added a good amount of armor/skids and still avg 18 - 18.5 mpg.

I'm guessing the 255 is a narrower tire size? Bloody metric tire sizes are still confusing to me, I'm used to flotation sizes. I'll look into them, thanks! Any chance I could comfortably fit them with a leveling kit (say one of the 3" front, 1" rear kits)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 6:42 pm

you know what...you are absolutely correct...i completely forgot i had that useless thread over there...i stand corrected....and i appologize....lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 6:51 pm

dwc2134 wrote:
I'm guessing the 255 is a narrower tire size? Bloody metric tire sizes are still confusing to me, I'm used to flotation sizes. I'll look into them, thanks! Any chance I could comfortably fit them with a leveling kit (say one of the 3" front, 1" rear kits)?

Yep, Stock is 265 millimeters, 255 would be 1 cm (about 3/8") narrower. You could fit them on a stock FJ, but they fill up the front wheel well. Most people opt for at least a 1" of lift in the front. The leveling kit you describe would be plenty to run.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 7:09 pm

Welcome aboard! You're already fitting right in!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dwc2134
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
you know what...you are absolutely correct...i completely forgot i had that useless thread over there...i stand corrected....and i appologize....lol

Haha at least i'm not going crazy...er

Brian wrote:
dwc2134 wrote:

Yep, Stock is 265 millimeters, 255 would be 1 cm (about 3/8") narrower. You could fit them on a stock FJ, but they fill up the front wheel well. Most people opt for at least a 1" of lift in the front. The leveling kit you describe would be plenty to run.

Ah, thank ya. So 33x10, give or take. Good to know, one of my goals is to keep the lift to a minimum.
NC FJ Driver wrote:
Welcome aboard! You're already fitting right in!

thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orange Boxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 8:55 pm

Welcome to the Forums Wil glad to have you with us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
dwc2134
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Starting to toy around with the idea of going with bilstein 5100s in the front and some toytec 2" coils in the back. Easier to install, only two hundred and fifty bucks or so more expensive, more capable, and from what I've read leveled trucks don't tow as well, which I will need... You people were right, this is gonna rob my wallet blind!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orange Boxx

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Shhhhh !!! do not tell the wife !
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
dwc2134
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 11:35 pm

Orange Boxx wrote:

Haven't got one of those yet, too much maintenance and money required XD

Ah the joys of being young.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   Wed May 02, 2012 11:48 pm

dwc2134 wrote:
Orange Boxx wrote:

Haven't got one of those yet, too much maintenance and money required XD

Ah the joys of being young.

LOL!
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: welcome to nc   Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 pm

Hey hey were glad to have you. I'm inAsheville about an hour and a half from charlotte a bunch of fun trails up here. I also have another ride that I like to wheel harder than my fj. I got a 94 xj with a 4 inch and 33 tires no windows and crumpled like a tin can. I am looking forwards to wheeling camping etc. with you, Welcome to NCFJ.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!   

Back to top Go down

New from Virginia, moving down to NC in the fall!
Page 1 of 1