NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT

Go down 
+13
David B
Crazy Hube
Scottydog
Darklight
NCFJ1
totald
crogers6569
NC FJ Driver
Orange Boxx
MadToy
dsbike
Speedrye
bigdogdewey2
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 12:04 am

and even with 285's plan on 300$ worth of wheel spacers of aftermarket wheels b/c they will rub the a-arm and the frame and the back of the frame and all the inner fender well.
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 11:04 am

Mike, have you ordered a new axle yet? I still have not heard back from my guy. Not sure if he is traveling or ignoring me Crying or Very sad

You guys are killing me! I guess I can just try a 285 and see what happens. Chad you are running a 2' front and 1.5" rear Daystar spacer lift on your 4Runner still, correct? I have almost 4" of front lift and 4.25 rear lift now and a 285 is going to look slime on my truck even wheeling I think I can fit a 34" just not sure I want the extra bagage of them now though. I am needing some UCA's badly right now and it looks like they will come sooner then later. That will aslo clear up some space for bigger tires.

My alignment is so off and I am hoping the uca's can get me back within specs!
Right now I am at the following positive degree numbers:

caster 1.25 dr pas 1.28

camber 0.34 dr pas 0.37

toe 0.05 dr pas 0.05

My fender height from ground to fender with 3/4" body lift and 265/70r17 HT is:

front 4" lift on front end

38.5"

4.25" lift on rear

41"
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 11:25 am

yeah i have already gotten my axle and new hub...everything is good bobby...i appreciate your help...it will all be going back to gether today or this weekend...cant wait to drive the gunny again...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 11:29 am

Do it today Mike - so you can come out and test it tomorrow..... Basketball
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 11:31 am

i probably will do it today.however i have "chores" to do this weekend...i have to get my garden planted among a few other things...i really would like to go ...who knows myabe the sheeling Gods will shine down on me...LOL
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 12:00 pm

I already have 1.5" hub centric wheel spacers up front but would like some new wheels with a better offset Smile . Spacers were for Christmas and costed about $80.00 for a pair with ET lugs from AP with free shipping.

Sorry Mike to clog up your thread. We should start another thread in reguards to BIG TIRES or something but I guess it's in relation to the axles themselves and the added strain of a larger tire. Carry on
Back to top Go down
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 12:01 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
yeah i have already gotten my axle and new hub...everything is good bobby...i appreciate your help...it will all be going back to gether today or this weekend...cant wait to drive the gunny again...

Where did you end up getting these from and can you post up some part #'s for future reference?
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:01 pm

Darklight wrote:
Mike, have you ordered a new axle yet? I still have not heard back from my guy. Not sure if he is traveling or ignoring me Crying or Very sad

You guys are killing me! I guess I can just try a 285 and see what happens. Chad you are running a 2' front and 1.5" rear Daystar spacer lift on your 4Runner still, correct? I have almost 4" of front lift and 4.25 rear lift now and a 285 is going to look slime on my truck even wheeling I think I can fit a 34" just not sure I want the extra bagage of them now though. I am needing some UCA's badly right now and it looks like they will come sooner then later. That will aslo clear up some space for bigger tires.

My alignment is so off and I am hoping the uca's can get me back within specs!
Right now I am at the following positive degree numbers:

caster 1.25 dr pas 1.28

camber 0.34 dr pas 0.37

toe 0.05 dr pas 0.05

My fender height from ground to fender with 3/4" body lift and 265/70r17 HT is:

front 4" lift on front end

38.5"

4.25" lift on rear

41"

Bobby im running the daystar with the top spacers flipped for 3" front and toytec superflex rear coils with a half inch spacer for 3.5" rear. With 285s and a 1.25" wheel spacer i have some rubbing on the rear of the fender up front and when the rear flexes the tire rubs the front, back, and top. And with 4.5" will have a major tire to frame problem. Fixing the caster will only increase rubbing at the rear of the front fender.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Darklight wrote:
bigdogdewey2 wrote:

Where did you end up getting these from and can you post up some part #'s for future reference?

got everything from ECGS....the axle is from Nitro Gear...and the rest is from toyota...the hub and hub bearing is one piece the hub retainer, and all the little poop can only be gotten from toyota at this point in time...VERY EXPENSIVE by the way...ECGS is where u need to go to get it all done...

on another note...the hub and hub bearing: there seems to be problems with them ...Chase at ECGS told me that they have done at least 10 replacements in the last 6 months...all failing...keep an eye on those parts...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:28 pm

Ok well as of this writing..I am done...the new axle is in the motor and caliber are done ...only broke one wheel stud...wheel and tire are on...drove it around the property a bit...cycles it thru all gears and put it in hi4 and Lo4 pushed all the relevant buttons...all seems well...no leaks so far and I'm feeling good..

Chad I took your advice about the emergency brakes....off...lol...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:47 pm

Great news Mike!

Now what's this about the E-brakes?? Smile
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 6:44 pm

The e brake is impossibler to get back on. Going to a drivetrain brake is way easier.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 6:55 pm

yeah those ebrakes are absolutely a PITA....i finally said F*^K it....not putting them back on...im gonna look into a drive line brake system...see what it takes...
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 8:31 pm

Small rotor mounted to between the rear driveshaft flange and the tcase flange. The a bracket with a cable actuated caliper.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:04 pm

if i could find a used one ...i might be able to adapt one for the FJ...ALLPROOFFROAD has them...and so does trail tough....but like i said if i can find a used one that would be the way to go
Back to top Go down
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
crogers6569

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Look at gocart parts online or at northern tool. They should have something.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:16 pm

will do...i will also tell you that i had two dummy light on when i thought i was finished...it drove me crazy..., "brake" light, VSC and TRAC...i undid the battery...i drove in reverse...then for some reason it hit me...plug the wheel sensor back in...lol...sure enough thats what it was...lol
Back to top Go down
cjcradier
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
cjcradier

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 9:04 am

The e-brake isn't impossible just a chore. I fiddled with one for quite some time (2 hours +) then realized I was going about it all wrong. Changed my approach and fell right in to place! Speaking of I need to adjust my parking brake now.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 11:55 am

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
Ok well as of this writing..I am done...the new axle is in the motor and caliber are done ...only broke one wheel stud...wheel and tire are on...drove it around the property a bit...cycles it thru all gears and put it in hi4 and Lo4 pushed all the relevant buttons...all seems well...no leaks so far and I'm feeling good..

Chad I took your advice about the emergency brakes....off...lol...

Just checked back in to see if everything was back together - glad to see you are back on the road.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
Darklight
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
Darklight

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Mike, do you have a list of part numbers for future reference?
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Hope to see you back OFFROAD soon
Back to top Go down
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

PostSubject: ebrake   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Nice back on the road huh. E brake does suck. I have had it tightened twice at toyota in 10 months, and now it is slack again. I tow and up here in the mountains I hate to put the weight of my fj plus a 4000 pound cargo trailer on the tranny. Mine keeps getting slack, and then virtually not working?
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:49 pm

Are you guys suggesting that the BigDog has become a mall crawler?? Shocked
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:53 pm

MadToy wrote:

Just been benched...AND school has taken a lot out of me...not to mention I have been working on my new roofrack on most Saturdays....
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2012 2:57 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
MadToy wrote:

Just been benched...AND school has taken a lot out of me...not to mention I have been working on my new roofrack on most Saturdays....

Sounds like we need an intervention of some sorts.... Smile

I'm sure you'll be back to face the shelf before the end of the season!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next