POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:35 pm

ok guys i need all the expert opinions that i can get and seriously...i know there are a few of you out there that have done the same or worse...here is what is going on...

i know that in 2WD...the passenger side rear axle is the "power" axle...meaning it is the one axle that is actually putting power to the ground.
IF i put the truck in 2WD and in gear the drive shaft spins but NO forward motion whats so ever.

if i put the truck in 4WD i get forward motion however i am attributing that to the front axle(s) pulling the truck forward....

If i put the truck in 4WD with the rear diff lock engaged i DO KNOW that the driver side tire will spin BUT the PASSENGER tire will NOT spin....

so what i am asking is What should i be worried about?

The passenger side axle shaft?
The E Locker?
The ring and pinion?

based on the fact that the driver side tire will spin while the ELOCKER is engaged thus i would assume that the ring and pinion have to be OK for it to spin that tire....

ANY IDEAS?? Please feel free to chime in...i would appreciate real help....thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 am

Does it not make any noise?? If you lost all the teeth on that one axle shaft, I can't imagine that the R&P wouldn't be chewed up some. Surely it made a pretty bad noise when you busted it to start with. Any chance you know someone with a lit scope that you could feed in through the rear pumpkin plug? See what's inside without actually having to take anything apart?

Oh yeah, and what the heck were you doing to the thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:44 am

First let me start with I do not know if the axel on the FJ is splined or pinned. Have you jacked the truck up and put it on jackstands to verify your findings? That is the first thing I would do. There is link on the Blue Room for the repair / overhaul manual. I am on my tablet and can 't copy &paste with this cheap pos. I would then pull the dif cover and see what going on inside.
I am sure there are members on here who had this opened up. Hopefully they will chime in soon. This should at least get you started.
Be sure to use jackstands before climbing under a raised vehicle.
Hope its an easy fix for you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:32 pm

I would say it's gotta be the axle Mike. When you went up Kodak, both front and the driver's rear tire were all chattering with the A-TRAC, so it was certainly getting power.

A couple of us were at the bottom of Rocky Mount when you "mounted" that ledge. We heard a sound that we definitely realized wasn't just skids hitting rocks. No doubt that was the axle snapping. Much better than it not snapping, and shredding the gears instead though, so I think it's the best you could hope for in a tough spot. Axle's are easy enough to swap.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:05 pm

easy to swap but expensive...
lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orange Boxx
SUPPORTING VENDOR - OrangeBoxx

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:32 pm

I just hope you did not tear the ring pinion up too or the spider set
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:18 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
easy to swap but expensive...
lol

Isnt your truck still under warranty!Very Happy I would definately play that card with my dealer..."oh, no sir, all that stuff is just for looks, this happened backing up at the mall Saturday!"

Seriously, I hope its the least expensive option out there!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 pm

Before i would pay for a stock shaft to the tune of 4-500$

Nitro sells chomoly shafts that are rated for 8000ft/lbs and 120* of twist before failure for 249/side
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 pm

and the lesson I learned from mike is that 285/75/17 is too big for a 120 platform without big money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 pm

crogers6569 wrote:
and the lesson I learned from mike is that 285/75/17 is too big for a 120 platform without big money.

HAAAAA HAAAAA freakin HA!!!!!
you may have a point...though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:45 pm

I mean you fix the rear axle the CV's cant be too far behind although the open diff will help save those. the your gotta wonder how long the driveshaft will hold up if the axle shaft popped on such mild trails as URE.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:13 pm

Sorry to hear Mike. Make sure you take pics and document the swap. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:18 pm

ok...so now for the really fun part!! after taking the truck to the dealership and letting them spew what they do...

$5686.........

OMG...what the HELL are they smoking?? first off they wont honor the warranty...fine...actually im fine with that...seriously im fine with it...

but for them to tell me that i need to replace everything from the driveshaft flange all the way out to the rotors?

the whole third?
not just that? but all of the third...
the whole housing? the shafts?
the E locker?
the actuator?

I had some very nice things to say about the dealership that i took it to....i had said theywere a very good place to take your vehicles to...i have completely and totally changed my mind...

NO ONE will change my mind...anyone on here want to try to defend them up to you ...i will never as long as i draw breath ever take my vehicle to them for any reason whatso ever....i will drive way out of my way jsut so i dont go there...way what you will ...defend at your own peril...

$5686........WTF????? absolute highway robbery!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orange Boxx

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:37 pm

That does sound a bit high my friend but that is the reason they are called stealerships now day.s. VW Has a shop rag sur charge now and charges you 7 bucks a rag

Last edited by Orange Boxx on Tue May 01, 2012 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:50 pm

Dealerships don't have mechanics anymore (most of them anyway). They have part replacers. They have no idea how to diagnose and repair a problem, they just know how to replace everything it could possibly be.

Just had my own similar experience this week with my car. I told them they just need to reflash my tranny controller. They instead try to tell me my transmission is no good, and $3k to replace. I told them they don't know what they're talking about and took it back. Brought just the tranny controller to my friend's house to reflash it, and boom, running like new. Idiots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 pm

well my father had a similar problem at the FERD stealership...had a leak in the ac line leaking coolant and they wanted to charge him 2k+ for a new ac system...took it back after going to a independant mechanic where they replaced with a "junkyard" part...and he was told that the part was wrong...by the dealership...LOL...yeah im not worried about the "little" parts...thats stuff that can be replaced...but the whole damn housing ?? what the hell....what really killed me about what happened at the stealership is that they could NOT actually tell me what was wrong...couldnt pin it to an actual "problem"...so the "FIX" for it was..lets replace everything!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:35 pm

I figured that would be the case at the dealership... "replace it all!"
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:44 pm

i honestly have no clue how they can say that the whole housing is bent....they had it for two hours...its amazing to me how they can think that i am that stupid...

AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
crogers6569
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:42 pm

for that price save half and get this

https://www.allprooffroad.com/fjcdrivetrain/330

the rear with an arb and your choice of gear ratio is only 3695.00
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:59 pm

hell i know ...i was drooling over this thing earlier today...that and the Trail-gear housings...lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 6:19 am

You wanna call out the dealership for us locals?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 9:18 am

Yeah I did...and will continue to do so...it has nothing to do with them NOT fixing or honoring tje warranty...it has to do completely with the way they handled it ...extremely vague about the whole thing...telling me that a bent (slightly) lower control ARM has implications on the 3rd member...really?? I absolutely don't think so...
No it has nothing to do with warranty being honored...I figured that going into it...it has totally to do with how the whole thing was handled...

As said previously, as long as there is oxygen on this planet I will not set foot ever again in Vann York Toyota...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 9:43 am

Typical dealer BS. Someone stated it above and I have found it to be true for most dealers, they no longer have real mechanics working there. The simply throw parts at it until they feel the issue is fixed.

Hell, you can pull a string line and see if the housing is bent or not. You have to remove both axles and the third to see if there are issues with R&P and I believe you mentioned it was only there for a couple hours.

I had to go all the way to Yota corporate to get my TC output shaft replaced. After I CALMLY explained to them that I was their worst nightmare, a guy that actually knows how to do all this himself and that being a vendor on several Yota forums gave me a great platform to showcase how inept their service centers really are they took care of me.

They ended up giving me a new 3rd, new T-case and a new driveshaft. I found quite a few loose bolts when I brought it home.

Bottom line is that you need to take the rig to someone that knows what they are looking at. Once you establish what is actually wrong you can then go to Yota and see if you can get it repaired. I would certainly suggest a different dealer. Only advice I can give you is to remain calm when dealing with them. If the service manager does not give you the response you wish, tell them you wish to speak to the district rep, in person. The district rep is your lead to corporate if he or she does not satisfy you.

From what I have heard, Yota is tightening up on warranty claims. It's just business to them. My case was different because the Ring gear failed which locked up the rear while under power which is what lead to the T-case output shaft shearing. I had to explain to them that the ring gear was known to be defective and that a U-joint should have let go before the output shaft sheared.

Your issue will be different unless you can show something that was indeed "defective" was the cause of the problem.

Good Luck
Stan

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 11:18 am

Stan I totally agree with what you are stating..I have no doubt in my mind that dealerships are parts replacers. And as you said Toyota is obviously tightening their belts up...and in the end its not a matter of warranty honor its the fact and hoe they treated me...the first thing out of the guys mouth was "Mr Thompson I have bad news for you, its going to cost you $5686 to fix your truck" no lube, no snuggled and certainly no offer of a reach around...!!! Didn't even mention the warranty until I asked him about it... he basically said that because the right side lower control link and the shock mount were bent that the whole housing has to ne bent....and again...it was there no more than 90 minutes before they called me...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   Tue May 01, 2012 11:30 am

Damn. That means that half the FJ's running around out there now must have bent housings...... No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT   

Back to top Go down

POSSIBLE BROKEN PASSENGER AXLE SHAFT
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next