NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What should I do first?

Go down 
+4
MadToy
bigdogdewey2
Crazy Hube
yota15
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

What should I do first? Empty
PostSubject: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Well I have gotten some of my bills out of the way and I am now able to start saving money to put towards mods. My FJ is bone stock and I have quite a list of mods that I want to do but gotta start slow and work my way up. With that said here is what I have been contemplating doing first but I need help deciding what mod I should actually get first.

Lift/Tires
- most expensive mod I am considering doing at the moment
- more ground clearance
- thinking about getting the Toytec Ultimate lift (prefer this over OME because I plan on getting a front plate bumper with a winch and with OME I would get the heavy coils but they would have too much unsprung weight)

Full skids
- planning on getting BudBuilt
- extra protection would be awesome
- still expensive, but coming down on a rock real hard one time will have paid for the skids in full in my opinion
- I am a little worried that all the extra weight will cause the front end to sag more and I read somewhere that BudBuilt skids will make my ground clearance suffer because they are so big

Full CB setup
- will only cost me about $150
- will be nice to be able to communicate with the other vehicles on the trail
- not very helpful wheeling wise (i.e. will not help my rig on the trails)

Recovery gear
- kind of expensive but I really need some quality gear (I only have a rear hitch mounted shackle, a 30'x3" strap, and a Hi-Lift that I admittedly haven't used)
- will help me tremendously if I get stuck and I don't have to hope someone else has gear to get me out

So everyone, if you were in my shoes what would you save up for first and why?
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:16 pm

If it were me,

1) Lift/Tires
2)Recovery gear (I would never go off road without it)
3) CB
4) Skids (Stock will get you by for a WHILE) I still have mine and I wheel her pretty hard
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:44 pm

i think thats a pretty good order...CB is cheap enough actually that you could do that in between other stuff...skids you can do in order of what you think is most important...the stockers will get you by for a good while..i would actually start with the transfer case skid first...its the one that as it sits stock has NO skid...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 8:51 pm

The skids wont really lower your rig. I didn't notice any when I put mine on. Your looking about 160-175lbs ( - 15 lbs from removing stock skids) spread out over your whole vehicle. If you get a full set of Bud's you will have a smooth underbelly. This can actually give you what kind of amounts to a little more ground clearance. Your FJ can actually slide on rock juts that other might get bound up on. So what very little you might technically lose, you will gain back with the ability to slide over it.

Others might disagree, but it is the best money I spent on my FJ. I am not a mechanic and the little added peace of mind has allowed me to have a little more fun than I would have otherwise.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:01 pm

i agree with the importance of skids...very important to keep all the stuff underneath safe ...
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Yea well it aint much fun wheeling with a rig that is 5 inches off the ground either
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:37 pm

4running wrote:
Yea well it aint much fun wheeling with a rig that is 5 inches off the ground either

Sure it is. Makes it more challenging.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:21 pm

First thing I would do is sliders. Then skids - then lift and tires......

Come to think of it - that's exactly what I did Smile
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Whatever floats you boat!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:38 pm

4running wrote:
Whatever floats you boat!

None of these items could serve as flotation devices. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 pm

seat bottom cushions are to be used as flotation devices...and i carry floaties in my molle gear
Back to top Go down
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
Auto Solutions

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 pm

LOL Mike. I say you wheel it as is and save up so you can do it all at once! lol. Skid plates are definitely good security. Those will be my next mod.
Back to top Go down
http://www.asi-autosolutions.com

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:46 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
seat bottom cushions are to be used as flotation devices...and i carry floaties in my molle gear

This should be your first mod.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:49 pm

especially now that he thinks hes driving a submarine...got that snorkel and all...he needs floaties too...
Back to top Go down
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
Auto Solutions

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:53 pm

I keep a blow up raft in the back just in case!
Back to top Go down
http://www.asi-autosolutions.com
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:57 pm

Auto Solutions wrote:
I keep a blow up raft in the back just in case!

not as cool as floaties....
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 11:04 pm

If your floaties are the same as water wings, I'm in.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 11:09 pm

What should I do first? 220px-10

except mine are blue!
Back to top Go down
yota15
Trail Scout
Trail Scout

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Brian wrote:
4running wrote:

Sure it is. Makes it more challenging.

That was gonna be my answer lol

Yeah I dunno I'm still stuck on what to do first. I mean I have the factory sliders (which are better than nothing) but something stronger and has kickouts would be nice.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 11:16 pm

hook you up!!!
Back to top Go down
tbulluck
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
tbulluck

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 am

my 02....lift/tires, then ras/skids, ....

all i got is the cb
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 6:22 am

[quote="yota15"]
Brian wrote:
Yeah I dunno I'm still stuck on what to do first. I mean I have the factory sliders (which are better than nothing) but something stronger and has kickouts would be nice.

I have found the factory sliders to very strong. I think most people will agree. However they do not offer any kick out. Definitely enough to move sliders lower on the priority list though.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 10:25 am

You guys get factory sliders? Nice.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 10:28 am

MadToy wrote:
You guys get factory sliders? Nice.......

Its an option, or standard on the Trail Teams Edition.
Back to top Go down
InnerChild
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 am

Do you have the factory sliders or the factory nerf bars? Because I know from experience, the nerf bars that have the steps, do not really work more than once Smile

Personally, I went with skids first. I went offroading with the factory skids once and from the noises I heard coming from underneath, I knew that it needed more protection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What should I do first?   What should I do first? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What should I do first?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NCFJ Cruisers :: General/Off Topic Discussion :: "All Other" Posts-
Jump to: