NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy

Go down 
+5
NC FJ Driver
bluejack13
InnerChild
bigdogdewey2
totald
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Empty
PostSubject: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:07 pm

So I have wanted to be able to open the rear glass without always having to use my key. There is a thread in the Blue Room here that talks about it but this person disabled the locking functionality of the key cylinder. I didn't want to do that and think it is probably unnecessary anyway.

Then I saw that the guy from Virginia that came to the show had a button on his MPAC that fed into the rear door. I didn't get a chance to ask him about it but I assume this is what it was for. Seeing this reminded me of this feature and pushed me to research it and get it done. Since I am an electrician/electronics tech and I look at wiring diagrams for helicopters on almost a regular basis I figure how hard can this be?

Here is the answer.

I started with the obvious, removing the rear door cover and pulling the plastic back on the left side.

After this you need to locate the connector that feeds the rear door key cylinder. Item A

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Connector

The male end that is disconnected has three wires that are Red, Blue and Purple. According to the wiring diagram here:

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy FJRearLockAssembly

Purple is the common wire, red is unlock and blue is lock. The rear window is released by turning the key and holding it in the lock position (right) for approximately 5 seconds. Doing this connects the purple and blue wires momentarily which locks the door then releases the rear window. What you need to do is splice in a push button or a momentary switch between these two wires (purple and blue). I used a push button switch from work.

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy D0c3598d

NOTE: I am a little pickier than some may be on installs because I am used to such high standards at work. The route I chose to splice and make the connections is a little more difficult than it needs to be.

The male connector has a little cap that has to be removed before pulling the pins out.

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy 74ee0c98

After pulling the pins I stripped a middle section of wire where I would place the splice. I then placed a piece of heat shrink over so the splice could be covered.

This is with the splices crimped on and the environmental heat shrink covering one end.

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Fbe9300b

Next I had to drill my hole for the switch. Mine is in the far left front top corner of the door cover. I used a friction switch so the hole had to be a tight fit.

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy 9dc21b36

After this I used two short sections of wire at the splices with standard blade and socket connections. I fed them through the plastic so it could be re-attached to the door and the blades would stick through.

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Cf5456ad

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Aa040321

I put the same blade and socket connections on the switch and made the connections.

Then I reinstalled the read door panel.

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy 8861c031

Ops check good.

For a short answer, yes, it is easy.

Note: When using the key in the rear door to lock or unlock the door, it only operates the rear door. I didn't know that.

Last edited by totald on Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:24 pm

sweet...nice write up...so now you have to open the door to open the window correct?
Back to top Go down
InnerChild
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks, that's a much better way to do that than the blueroom. I also saw a thread on the blue room where someone installed an actuator so they can raise the rear window from the front. I'm hoping to do that at some point and this is a good start to it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Nice! Got a picture of what it looks like finished?
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Damn, I thought I put that in there. Adding it right now.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:43 pm

bigdogdewey2 wrote:
sweet...nice write up...so now you have to open the door to open the window correct?

No, this way yo can still do it with the key.

My scenario is that I am either outside at home while my keys are inside, or the car is running when I decide to open it so I have to get the keys or shut the FJ off to get the keys.

Now that is fixed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 pm

I love it. I'll be doing this soon. Now that I see where your button is it looks great. Very stock looking!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:44 pm

so...again...you have to open the door to open the window now dont you??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Your second reason is the reason I will do it. I hate having to turn the truck off to open the window.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 8:55 pm

Hope you don't mind... I posted a link to this on the FB page. You did a great job. I can unlock the back door without shutting of the truck... I can't open the window though. I appreciate you posting this.
Back to top Go down
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:01 pm

Mike, I believe he's saying there's two options. Open it with the key from outside (door closed) just like before, OR you can open the door and hit the little button.

I just WISH the rear window would pop open on it's own. If it would, I would do this and run the button up front. You know, so I could just open the rear window going down the road. I love having the windows down in a car, but without anything other than the two front windows you get beat to death by the wind in the FJ. I've read the actuator thread on the blue room, but that seems a bit complicated and not perfected (a bit hacky looking). ARGH!

This is a nice and clean looking. Excellent job!
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:10 pm

^^^correct.

Sorry Mike. I thought it was making sense.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:14 pm

yes answered...absolutely...thank you so much...i appreciate it..yeah i like the windows open too even winter time...but the wind is too much sometimes...
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:31 pm

problemcat13 wrote:
Mike, I believe he's saying there's two options. Open it with the key from outside (door closed) just like before, OR you can open the door and hit the little button.

I just WISH the rear window would pop open on it's own. If it would, I would do this and run the button up front. You know, so I could just open the rear window going down the road. I love having the windows down in a car, but without anything other than the two front windows you get beat to death by the wind in the FJ. I've read the actuator thread on the blue room, but that seems a bit complicated and not perfected (a bit hacky looking). ARGH!

This is a nice and clean looking. Excellent job!

i agree about the linear actuator thread in the blue room...it is hacky looking...way too big for what it is... definitely needs perfecting...
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Maybe I will tackle that next.

For anyone that knows anything about it, I am an E-7 in the Coast Guard so I am a Chief. When you are advanced to E-7/Chief you go through an indoctrination, part of which is building a hat box.

This was my Chief Hat box with a remote actuator.

Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:55 pm

private secured video....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 pm

That's cool! I need that in the back of the FJ... LOL
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 9:57 pm

weird, link said I could share it on any web site. working on it.

Paul can see it?

Paul check you PM
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 10:09 pm

Now I can't find the original so I guess some can see it and some can't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:44 am

Looks like you answered the PM?
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 6:53 am

Really nice job! thanks for sharing...but no Hat Box for me!Question
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 9:52 am

Nice job & write-up. I did this same mod 3 years ago. I used a door lock switch from a junk yard. Mine locks & unlocks the door also from the inside. I think the only time you may need that function is if you are sleeping in the back. I never used it in the last 3 years. But I use the window switch all the time. When filling out the window sheets for the show Saturday, my wife reminded me that I even did that install. It has been so long I couldn't even remember how it used to be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:20 pm

So were you the one he was looking for prior to tackling it on his own? LOL
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Could have been but I was so busy drooling over all those tube bumpers , lifts & light mods that I was never around my FJ!!!
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 7:41 pm

idlike to be able to unlock the window from the front...the install would be the same as what you have done here right ? except that the wires would go to the front??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy   Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear Glass Release Button - Pic Heavy
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next