NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stranded at Brown Mountain

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

Stranded at Brown Mountain Empty
PostSubject: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 7:47 am

Did anyone else see the news story of the people that got stranded at Brown Mountain overnight? I can't find a link to the story anywhere yet since it just aired last night. They serve as a reminder to be prepared and also to not be STUPID! Seriously, who goes off-roading in the middle of a cold night with seven kids in busted vehicles without anything as simple as tools, lights, some way to create fire or even an extra blanket or something? At least they had paper towels to keep warm with...

Update: Fox 8 emailed me the link to the story:
Bad ideas gone wrong

Last edited by Speedrye on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 8:00 am

I didn't see the article, but would like to read it. There is really only one trail for street vehicles to ride on and it is not really rough. I am curious as to what broke them down?
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 9:26 am

I've emailed the news station to see if they can post the video or the story or something on it. I'll post up with their response.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:04 am

First post updated with link! Thanks Fox 8...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:42 am

Some people should not be allowed to reproduce..... No
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:19 pm

This is funny especially if you have ever been there. It is not a large trail system and the only trails for SUVs are easy-moderate (moderate would be pushing it). Central to the OHV trails/park is a campground! Their SUV must have been a Honda Element.

We should get a Brown Mountain & Richland Road trip planned. Easy wheeling with a few places to play at each.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:20 pm

I'll bet they were on the ATV trails.....
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 pm

MadToy wrote:
I'll bet they were on the ATV trails.....

Please refer to your previous statement about not reproducing...
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 12:41 pm

I watched it again and they did say they were on the ATV trails. One vehicle ran out of gas, one broke down and one got stuck on a rock. Good job.
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:28 pm

It is people from this same gene pool that we, the Coast Guard, rescue all the time.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 3:51 pm

WOW....i really cant come up with any other thing to say about this...just WOW....
Back to top Go down
ULTIMATEcruiser
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Ok, first I have to say you don't have to be off the main OHV trail to get stuck in a stock 2 door Ford Explorer. Not a real 4wd to begin with. Second, I have been able to get cell service there before but apparently they were in the wrong place of course. The ATV trails are more narrow than the OHV trail and I can only assume they are more hilly which would certainly put those people in a serious situation fast. While Brown Mountain is not the big of a challenge it can be for a vehicle with less ground clearance than our FJ's in stock form.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stranded at Brown Mountain   Stranded at Brown Mountain Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stranded at Brown Mountain
Page 1 of 1