NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Richland Rd alone?

Go down 
+3
MadToy
Auto Solutions
dsbike
7 posters
AuthorMessage
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:37 am

I am in Blowing Rock for a few days & was hoping to do some bike riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway. However the weather is not cooperating this week. Is Richland Rd an easy enough trail/road to do alone. Not worried about getting lost more concerned with any difficult areas that could get me in trouble. I have some experience wheeling & I have recovery gear with me. It has been raining since Saturday & we had some snow last night & this morning, nothing laying on the ground just makes it wet & muddy. Which being muddy makes me more concerned. My FJ is pretty much stock.

Of coarse if there is anyone who would like to go out tomorrow 4-24-12 with me, my daughter, & her future husband let me know. Haven't set any definate plans that we are going.

Last edited by dsbike on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
Auto Solutions

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 am

Wheeling alone really isnt advised but for the most part its just a forest service road. The stuff that can get you in trouble is off to the side if I remember correctly!
Back to top Go down
http://www.asi-autosolutions.com
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks that is what I thought but if its just a forest rd I wouldn't be concerned, I don't want to get out there somewhere where there isn't any other traffic & on some trail that is challenging.
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:42 am

Yep. Darklight ran it in his stock 4Runner. If you have a winch, you'll be fine (you won't need it unless you illegally venture off the trail).
Back to top Go down

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 12:04 pm

It is simple enough. I would take it alone if noone else was with me.
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 pm

No wench, I have the manual version, a come a long & 2 recovery straps. But I don't go off the the trail unless its a mistake. Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 8:37 pm

I dunno it might be more exciting if you can find a wench to bring along with you.
Back to top Go down

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 8:42 pm

pun humor rocks! bounce
Back to top Go down
bluejack13
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
bluejack13

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 23, 2012 11:29 pm

If you start from the bottom (Lenoir end), this isn't the first creek crossing but it's not too far from the beginning. You'll want someone to spot you straddling that crevice, OR steer to the right of it. You can always head down from the top and turn around once you feel like you can't go any further. No big mudholes to get stuck in or anything. I've considered running it by ourselves since we head to Boone a lot and I've been jonesing for some 4WD action this year.

Option 1, straddling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ywM2uWlBk

I don't have any videos uploaded of people doing it to the right side, but here's one of a 4Runner w/ no lockers doing it somewhat in the middle. Don't worry, everything looks worse when he's doing it and he was fine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKmuWoDnHKA
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 8:44 am

You can also just take the bridge over that creek....... Smile
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:46 am

So it looks like Richland Rd would require a spotter I can trust. I was not sure what to expect. Some fire roads I have been on were much smoother trails. I think I will let this one go until I can either run it with a group of guys from here or at min have my spotter (my wife) whom I can trust to guide me over anything. Thanks for the u-tube video link. I am not sure my daughter would even want to do this. More of a city/mall crawler girl.

SOOOO WHEN IS THE NEXT RICHLAND RD WEEK DAY TRIP!!!!! I work most weekends & I know most of you work during the week. Some day we will get together.

Yesterday I was out on Sampson Rd which is the top of the mountian end of Richland Rd, next time any of you are out there you need to find State View Rd. Go to the top & check out the view. Not only can you see where you just were, but you can see for miles. Very nice view.
Back to top Go down

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:23 am

Honestly you can do Richland Rd alone. The creek you can bypass using the bridge and 95% of the rest is dirt road. There are rougher spots, but it is easy. There is one hill towards the beginning that looks bad, just stay to the right side. A rock here or there, but nothing really. A second person to do basic spotting would be fine.

I would go mid week though once June rolls around.

Last edited by Brian on Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:40 am

I haven't used any sick days yet this year....... Smile
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 am

Mid week in June might be a good time for a run. I am usually off Mon- Thur.
Back to top Go down

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 1:03 pm

dsbike wrote:
Mid week in June might be a good time for a run. I am usually off Mon- Thur.

I will join you if it is the 18th-21st.
Back to top Go down
dsbike
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
dsbike

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 3:14 pm

This should work for me as of now. The Wife, I am sure would like to go. Won't know her schedule until mid May. I would like to camp up on the Parkway for a night or 2 if there is any other interest. Price Park has a nice campground & there is a nice stocked lake for anyone who likes to fish. It is about 5 miles south of Blowing Rock. Of course I am open to free camping out in the woods also. National Forest are free to camp anywhere that is at least 25 or 50 feet from any road & not marked "No Camping"
Back to top Go down
David B
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
David B

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 am

Never a good idea to do a trail alone. You never know what or WHO you will run into out there....and you do not want to get stuck in a bad situation.
Back to top Go down
http://forum.ncfjcruisers.com
smoky cruiser
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner
smoky cruiser

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: camping alone   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2012 9:24 am

You will be all good alone just bring a spare fully charged battery and a pistol or rifle. It is really pretty safe up here in the woods. There will always be a crazy or two in town, very rare you'll run into one in the woods. But bring your gun in case of the worst case scenario. The wife and I have done a ton of remote camping always really nice.
Back to top Go down
http://greenmindedcarpentry.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Richland Rd alone? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richland Rd alone?   Richland Rd alone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Richland Rd alone?
Page 1 of 1