NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Interior Jerry Can Mount

Go down 
+4
Speedrye
Southeast Overland
ncorn38
DamnItsAGlasgow
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

Interior Jerry Can Mount Empty
PostSubject: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:23 am

What's up guys... I just got a metal jerry can holder by Blitz and am thinking about mounting it on the interior above the back left wheel well. I like the idea that it is safely inside but won't take up too much trunk space or block my view. Has anyone done this? Pros, cons, thoughts? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ncorn38
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
MODERATOR - Trail Scout
ncorn38

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 am

Havent seen it done but only negative I can think of would be the heat inside the vehicle and possibly the smell. Other than that seems like a good possiblility.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/people/Nick-Aaron-Corn/100000272912625
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:35 am

I thought about that too, but since the jerry can is metal (and new) it should be sealed well enough to not leak. Haven't really thought about the heat though. I wonder if those metal cans are safe when exposed to heat?
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:42 am

Found this in another forum (searched google): "I've carried anywhere from 1 to 3 NATO gas cans inside my Cherokee. It doesn't matter if they are full or empty, I NEVER have had even a whiff of gasoline. This has been in 100*+ heat, elevations up to 12,000 feet, for weeks at a time. I feel safer with them inside where they are protected by the Jeep's body, rather than on the rear bumper where they are a target for every inattentive driver on the road. My Super Siphon DOES smell like gas after I use it, that goes on the spare tire for the duration."
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:59 pm

It all depends on the can and manufacturer of the can. I would NOT put a Blitz can in my vehicle - EVER. All cans are not created equal. I've had some Scepter cans leak and many not. I fixed the leaks by cranked down on the caps a bit. I've never had any quality NATO cans leak. I've seen many low quality cans leak.

I would strongly prefer not to put any gas cans in my vehicle ever. Minus gas smell think about being in a bad accident. Any gas can in your vehicle have no safety measures from lighting your rear on fire.

I'd rather a can leak outside than inside. And I'd much rather a can get damaged by a wreck outside my vehicle than inside my vehicle with me.

I don't sell gas can interior mounts and I won't ever recommend storing gas inside a vehicle ever for safety reasons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Southeast Overland wrote:
It all depends on the can and manufacturer of the can. I would NOT put a Blitz can in my vehicle - EVER. All cans are not created equal. I've had some Scepter cans leak and many not. I fixed the leaks by cranked down on the caps a bit. I've never had any quality NATO cans leak. I've seen many low quality cans leak.

I would strongly prefer not to put any gas cans in my vehicle ever. Minus gas smell think about being in a bad accident. Any gas can in your vehicle have no safety measures from lighting your rear on fire.

I'd rather a can leak outside than inside. And I'd much rather a can get damaged by a wreck outside my vehicle than inside my vehicle with me.

I don't sell gas can interior mounts and I won't ever recommend storing gas inside a vehicle ever for safety reasons.

He makes a compelling argument...
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm

The only gas container I'd run in the cargo/passenger area of my vehicle is a safe fuel cell.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:36 pm

You could use the interior mount for one of the Nato or Specter water carriers

But yea, when I take the gas container for my mower up to the station it stinks up the car for what seems like days
Back to top Go down
Scottydog
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
MODERATOR & SUPPORTING MEMBER
Scottydog

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 2:44 pm

You mow...?
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Scottydog wrote:
You mow...?

Heck yea I mow the grass Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:13 pm

Thanks everyone for the input! I'm a little confused though, because the Blitz can that I've got looks just like the mentioned Nato and Specter cans... what is the difference?

This is the one I've got: http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-31710-compliant-metal-Jerry/dp/B0007M42QE

It states that there's no drip, spill or fumes, and says it meets DOT regulations... so it's gotta be somewhat safe to ride with, right?
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:24 pm

DamnItsAGlasgow wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input! I'm a little confused though, because the Blitz can that I've got looks just like the mentioned Nato and Specter cans... what is the difference?

This is the one I've got: http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-31710-compliant-metal-Jerry/dp/B0007M42QE

It states that there's no drip, spill or fumes, and says it meets DOT regulations... so it's gotta be somewhat safe to ride with, right?

Don't believe everything you read. Very Happy The Blitz can you have is not a POS but it is not a plastic military Scepter can or a genuine NATO can (there are knock offs). The biggest difference are the spouts and how they seal. If you are pouring then there is a big difference in the spouts between cans, and then you have pre-CARB and post-CARB spouts to deal with.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Yea I could see how there would be a big difference with the spouts and pouring, but I have the spout separate from the can itself, so there is just a gasket and top that screws on -- wouldn't that be the same with all models?
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:12 pm

DamnItsAGlasgow wrote:
Yea I could see how there would be a big difference with the spouts and pouring, but I have the spout separate from the can itself, so there is just a gasket and top that screws on -- wouldn't that be the same with all models?

No. The Blitz screw on top is different from a genuine Nato clamp down top is different from a US military Scepter screw on top is different from a cheap Nato copy clamp down top, etc etc etc. Not all caps are the same and not all gaskets are the same.

The Blitz can you have will probably work fine on an outside mount, but not inside.
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:17 pm

Ahhh good to know. Guess I'll try to figure something else out!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Mount it outside to be safe.
Back to top Go down
NC FJ Driver
Gunner
Gunner
NC FJ Driver

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 8:36 pm

I know someone in a quoted thread said they did it without the smell, but I gotta think their nose was dead, I cant imagine it not stinking up your insides something fierce, leaks or not.

There are mounts designed to mount it to your spare that are not too expensive. Dont know about the extra weight pulling on the door though?
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 12:38 am

Good cans can keep fumes inside. Plastic Scepter cans often need a special wrench to get the caps off due to the pressure that builds up inside. If the pressure is not venting then the fumes shouldn't be either.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 8:32 pm

Isn't it kinda dangerous to have a bunch of built up pressure from fumes?
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 pm

4running wrote:

Gas in a can will give off fumes and/or expand depending on several factors, including temperature fluctuations. Pull gas from a cold underground tank and put it into a confined space and when it warms it will expand. I'd rather the fumes be in the gas tank than purging out into the vehicle. Don't light and throw a match into the can and you should be OK.
Back to top Go down
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Southeast Overland wrote:
4running wrote:

Don't light and throw a match into the can and you should be OK.

Always a good idea Laughing
Back to top Go down
DamnItsAGlasgow
Tail Gunner
Tail Gunner

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 10:16 pm

LoL agreed! I think, since I've already got the can holder, I'll temporarily mount it when needed to my MPAC barrier, then take it back out before it has a chance to heat/expand.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:02 pm

DamnItsAGlasgow wrote:
LoL agreed! I think, since I've already got the can holder, I'll temporarily mount it when needed to my MPAC barrier, then take it back out before it has a chance to heat/expand.

Do you mean you will mount it inside the FJ filled with gas?
Back to top Go down
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:07 pm

A match in a can of gas, depending on quantity, is actually ok. This was demonstrated to me and fellow volunteer fire fighters a while back and was pretty interesting. The match was actually put out when it hit the gas. Not saying to try it, but it was cool.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 11:20 pm

totald wrote:
A match in a can of gas, depending on quantity, is actually ok. This was demonstrated to me and fellow volunteer fire fighters a while back and was pretty interesting. The match was actually put out when it hit the gas. Not saying to try it, but it was cool.

Interesting... but I'll let someone else try that! Very Happy

I was thinking more about the fumes escaping as you pop the top.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interior Jerry Can Mount   Interior Jerry Can Mount Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Interior Jerry Can Mount
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next