NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

URD Short Throw Shifter

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
Auto Solutions

URD Short Throw Shifter Empty
PostSubject: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 11:29 pm

If you are thinking about getting one, DO IT! Night and day difference over stock. Shifts are considerably shorter and feel firmer as well. I wish I would have done this sooner. Install was a breeze and took about 15 minutes. I picked mine up off the Blue Room classifieds for $80 shipped. It was never even opened.
Back to top Go down
http://www.asi-autosolutions.com
totald
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
totald

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 1:05 am

I have been thinking about something like this. My 07 TRD had a short throw and my 2012 TT does not. I miss it.
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 2:02 am

How much of a difference is there between the URD and TRD, does anyone know?
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 6:44 am

I'm planning on a URD since I'm annoyed that my shifter hits the console in second gear. It's gonna have to wait a bit though since I just got hit with a hefty unexpected tax bill...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Hits the console?
Back to top Go down
Auto Solutions
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
SUPPORTING VENDOR - ASI
Auto Solutions

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 8:50 pm

May have something to do with his body lift! The design is fairly simple so I'm not sure there can be much of a difference between the brands. You guys are more than welcome to check it out at the show!
Back to top Go down
http://www.asi-autosolutions.com
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Yeah, it's the only clearance issue I had from the body lift. There are actually some decent differences between the URD and TRD units. The URD from my understanding uses a spacer block that relocates the stock shifter up an inch or so, effectively changing the leverage on the shifter, hence a shorter throw. The TRD has a whole new shifter, but I don't know exactly what's going on with it. I know the URD is a lot cheaper though!
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 9:37 am

Well, I sold some old Toyota wheels (circa 1984) for $110 and couldn't help but notice the URD shifter costs $110 as well, so I ordered one! I'll give reviews once it gets here and is installed.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 10:02 pm

Wow, URD has some fast shipping considering it was the cheapest option. Ordered yesterday, delivered via FedEx today and installed this evening. I'll give a review once I get to drive it some. Just rowing through the gears, the throws are certainly shorter. Reverse is a little harder to get into which is good since it was too easy before. The best part is that I'm not even close to hitting the console shifting into 2nd anymore. Review to come, but thus far, money well spent.
Back to top Go down
Speedrye
Trail Guide
Trail Guide
Speedrye

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 10:34 am

Okay, driving impressions:

Much better! The throws aren't too short, they're now just normal and feel much more precise. A good comparison is your average manual transmission car out there. It's certainly not a BMW, but at the same time it's not truck-like anymore. The shifter noise has certainly been reduced too, though I can't figure out why that would be the case since it uses most all of the stock components. Install took a little longer for me since my CB is in the way, as is my straddle Molle rack. I'd say the average guy out there won't have all the tools for this, but for the $25-$30 they'd cost, it'd be worth it.

It takes all of 15 seconds to adjust to the new shifting since it still feels the same, just shorter. All the gears are where you expect them to be and reverse is a bit harder to get in, but I don't notice it since I just whack the shifter into reverse anyway. Money well spent!
Back to top Go down
motorhead1257
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 10:51 am

Xx_Black-out wrote:
How much of a difference is there between the URD and TRD, does anyone know?

Huge difference. I had problems getting it in reverse, so, I thought it needed break in time. NO! Les NO! A buddy of mine told me. Then he told me to put it in neutral and move it to the right like I'm gona hit 3rd or 4th gear, and pull back to the left, and Man it slipped right in. Before, I had the nose up, then down, nose up, then down. I hated that, and didn't have mine for a week before I bit the bullet and bought an URD for less money than the TRD. Mine gives me no trouble whatsoever. My FJ is an early model 03/07 build date. I have 110,000 on it and it still looks close to NEW. :-), however, there is some yellow writing on the T-case which makes me think its a replacement and the yellow paint is from a parts yard or something. Sorry for rambling.

Have a good one,
Les
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: URD Short Throw Shifter   URD Short Throw Shifter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

URD Short Throw Shifter
Page 1 of 1