NCFJ Cruisers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Official Forum of the North Carolina FJ Cruisers

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what kind of winch do you all have?

Go down 
+4
NCFJ1
2011TRDIceberg
MadToy
bigdogdewey2
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

what kind of winch do you all have? Empty
PostSubject: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Ok i realize that not everyone has a winch ...they are in fact a pretty pricey piece of equipment...but if you have a winch on your truck post up and let us know how you like it. How about a mini review of your winch. where you got it , have you used it, what you have used it for mainly (yourself or others)...what size is your winch? what is the rated strength of it...anyway i hope to hear from all of you that have a winch
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Warn M8000. Got it from Streetside Auto when they were having a New Year's Day sale. Picked it up for about $425 after all discounts and gift certificates they were offering. Changed the line immediately to synthetic.

Haven't had to use it yet, so can't report on how well it works, but the M8000 is well known for being a great winch.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:24 pm

Nick i hope to read some good stuff about how you like the way it works...let us know when u have and what you like dislike about it...
Back to top Go down
MadToy
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
MadToy

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Will do Mike. So far I've only winched to a tree to wrap the line with a load on it. That worked nice Smile
Back to top Go down
2011TRDIceberg
Trail Scout
Trail Scout
2011TRDIceberg

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:32 am

Warn makes good products....had a 16k pound on a F250 it would pull the world ...I have a warn 3k pound on my ATV..I've had it under water winching and its still working
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 9:54 am

I currently have a Warn 12K Powerplant and a Viper Elite 12K. I have had good experiences with both. The Warn is a combination winch/compressor. Having on board air that I can move from vehicle to vehicle is a big plus. I have made countless pulls with this winch and never an issue.

I've had the Viper for a couple years now and have not had any problems with it either. I got the Viper when I was looking to start carrying a winch line for the business. I did not want to carry Warn or Superwinch, I wanted to carry a lesser known brand. Viper had a great reputation with their ATV winch line so I went with Viper. The Elite comes with synthetic rope and also has a remote controller, most Viper winches come standard with the remote. I love the remote because it allows me to be farther away from the winch line.

I stongly reccomend that no matter what winch brand you go for that you get at least a 9.5K, better a 12K. The huge amount of stress on a winch during a pull is amazing. The FJC is heavy and when loaded down with bumpers,skids and gear gets a lot heavier. Add to that that more often than not you are pulling up hill and you are stuck you will quickly over tax an 8K winch.

Also keep in mind that the rating of the winch is only for the first layer of cable or rope on the drum. This is why many go with a 50' line rather than 85' or 100' and use an extension if required. It allowa them to get closer to the drum when pulling and therfore having more pulling power.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:43 am

NCFJ1 wrote:
IAlso keep in mind that the rating of the winch is only for the first layer of cable or rope on the drum. This is why many go with a 50' line rather than 85' or 100' and use an extension if required. It allowa them to get closer to the drum when pulling and therfore having more pulling power.

Great info to know. It makes perfect sense, but not something I would have probably thought about.
Back to top Go down
Southeast Overland
VENDOR - SEO
VENDOR - SEO
Southeast Overland

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:40 am

I'll be covering a bunch of this stuff at the truck show during the synthetic winch line repair class.

But - I run a Warn M8000. For the $ it is hard to beat.

There are a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of imported winches from China flooding the market. Many of these offer a 8000 lb winch for around $300 which is a screaming deal but the draw back is they have a very slow line speed, especially under heavy load. Imagine 5-6 ft/minute slow.

I use my M8000 a bunch. I probably average one or more pulls a trip to Snowbird when we are playing in the bowl or when conditions are wet. A few trips I've used it half a dozen times and it has never let me down. In a few of those pulls if the line speed would have been 5-6 ft per second it would have made the recovery even more difficult.

On my FJ55 I have a Warn 8274. Now THAT is a solid winch. It is underrated at 8000 lbs and has capacity for 150 ft of 5/16" or 125' of 3/8" line - and it is FAST! If I could fit an 8275 on my FJ Cruiser I'd do it in a heart beat. Come to think of it I wonder if I could modify my Metal-tech tube bumper to house an 8274. I doubt it but I've never looked at the possibility.
Back to top Go down
http://www.SoutheastOverland.com
Crazy Hube
Gunner
Gunner
Crazy Hube

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 12:53 pm

I've got the Smittybuilt Competition 8k with synthetic. For the price it's great. But slow line speed, the solenoid box isn't completely waterproof and needs some work. But...I have abused the tinkle out of it. I pulled out a Land Rover Disco sunk to the frame, way more than 8K pounds of resistance. Still works! Used it just last week at Uwharrie on a failed hill climb.
Back to top Go down
Xx_Black-out
South Carolina Liaison
South Carolina Liaison
Xx_Black-out

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:35 pm

4running wrote:
I've got the Smittybuilt Competition 8k with synthetic. For the price it's great. But slow line speed, the solenoid box isn't completely waterproof and needs some work. But...I have abused the tinkle out of it. I pulled out a Land Rover Disco sunk to the frame, way more than 8K pounds of resistance. Still works! Used it just last week at Uwharrie on a failed hill climb.

I've got the Smittybilt XRC-10 Competition and the winch works great but the solenoid is junk. Right now it's useless to me because the solenoid is froze.

I'm planning on replacing the solenoid with a better unit and mounting it up in the engine bay somewhere...
Back to top Go down
NCFJ1
VENDOR - HFS
VENDOR - HFS

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 9:35 pm

Unfortunately, the Smittybuilts are well known for solenoid problems. Superwinch solenoids have about the best reputation out there.
Back to top Go down
bigdogdewey2
ADMINISTRATOR
ADMINISTRATOR
bigdogdewey2

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 9:37 pm

i have read a bunch of stuff on this line ...ENGO ...they really seem at the top of the heap...the blue room is having a group buy on these...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/vendor-deals-group-buys/143075-engo-winches-gb-free-shipping-metal-tech-4x4.html
Back to top Go down
Snowdogyyz
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Snowdogyyz

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:11 am

I have the Warn M8000 on my 40. I haven't used it yet, but I bought it based on its reputation and price. I need to switch it over to synthetic line at some point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what kind of winch do you all have?   what kind of winch do you all have? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what kind of winch do you all have?
Page 1 of 1